Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Not only money, but time.

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Anthony1113

Not only money, but time.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello all, i'm new here and looking for some advice/support.

I've been gambling for the past 3 years, mainly on horses but pretty much on everything else too. I'm only a student still, and have grown up in a family that uses gambling as a social outlet (tricky situation!).

Although i'm concerned about the money I've lost, it's more the time lost that most depresses me. I want to regain control of my life, and focus on spending my time more wisely. I want some advice on how to beat this addiction. This is the first time I have ever taken any action to quitting gambling.

A
    2 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]

Re: Not only money, but time.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi @Anthony1113 welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out to us.

It's definitely difficult being brought up in a family environment where gambling is part of social engagement.

I can see that you are feeling the loss and are having a hard time.

It's great that you've taken this step in wanting to gain back control of your life and overcome this addiction, it takes a lot of strength to do that.

You may find our most recent blog useful. While it does focus on losses during Covid19 the tips and strategies of how to help overcome this will be relevant, see here.

I'm also wondering what supports you currently have in place and if you have considered speaking to a Counsellor?
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”