Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • My rehab experience

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Richard6

My rehab experience

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 am

I have just completed a 21 day rehabilitation program at South Pacific Private Curl Curl for gambling addiction.
    After 21 days of therapy I feel 100 times better compared to when I first started the program.

Was so great to share my story with others and to have emotional support 24/7. If you have tried gambling counselling and found that it has not helped I would recommend rehab for sure.

Activities included

- Over 60 hours of group therapy
    - Peer support groups
    - Various GA, CODA and SLAA meetings
    - Daily lectures covering different subjects
    - Beach walks
    - Healthy eating - During your stay you are detoxed from sugar etc
    - Extensive after care program which I am starting next week

You are busy all day from 7:30am (Breakfast) till at least 9pm at night so you will forget about gambling.

All of this is covered by health funds. You must of psychiatric care included in your premium otherwise you have to wait 2 months to upgrade.
    The cost is around $25,000 without health insurance..
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: My rehab experience

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Richard,
    Thanks for sharing this information. It sounds like you have gained a lot from your experience at rehab. It's always good to hear about different treatment options. Keep up the good work!
    Charlotte (facilitator)
    0 x
    Richard6

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:33 am

No worries.
    I have done a lot things to help stabilise my mood as part of my aftercare which is encouraged.

1. Transitions, Relapse and mood management groups at the hospital weekly

2. Personal training sessions each week at the gym

3. Psychotherapy sessions weekly

4. More connection with friends and family

5. When going out I must have a plan for what I am doing or I will plan to fail ie go to pokies venue because I am bored etc
    0 x
    Richard6

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am

Everything is going along good for me since discharging from hospital.
    The stories that I have heard have changed me for life.

So group therapy does help as you hear other peoples stories. Then you reflect and say that you would not want your addiction to get as bad as what other people have gone through.

I thought my journey was bad but other peoples stories were 100 times worse.
    I'm enjoying all the things I have put in place to stop me gambling.

Another step I took was limiting my ATM withdrawal limit from $2000 to $200 which has helped. Sometimes without thinking I do go to the ATM and get out more but thank goodness it stops me.

Usually if I have too much money I would then gamble it away....
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Good to hear that things are going well Richard. It sounds like you're having positive experiences with group work, and that putting a limit on your ATM withdrawal is a helpful strategy. I fully agree with you that hearing other people's stories and reflecting on your own can be a very strong motivation to 'stay stopped'.

Keep it up :)
    Charlotte
    0 x
    Richard6

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks Charlotte,

I've found group therapy to be the most helpful tool that helped me to stop gambling.
    Last Tuesday it was a very difficult group session as there must of been 18 people or so in the circle.

Each of them have different addictions such as alcohol, food either eating too much or too little, drugs and gambling....
    So it is interesting to hear about the progress they have made, relapses and other hard things that have happened.

Each time I share it takes another load off my shoulders.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”