Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Hoping today is the first day of my recovery

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Deemac

Hoping today is the first day of my recovery

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:40 am

I spent my whole pay last night on the pokies, I cant live like this anymore, I don't know why I have the need to make myself poor and feel awful and sick in the stomach, but i keep going back, syaing it will be the last time. I owe so much money, I lie to my family and friends. I really want to quit and have a healthy and happy life.
    0 x
    GameChanger (facilitator)

RE: Hoping today is the first day of my recovery

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Deemac and welcome to the moderated forums, it's always really great see new members join our growing community.

I get the sense that you're coming to us after a long time cycling through the same familiar pattern of gambling. As soon as you get paid, the excitement builds and you're transported straight back to a venue to try your luck. You usually - and I'm sure not always - end up leaving with no money and feeling awful about what's just happened: it's unfortunately a very familiar story, that I'm sure so many of your fellow members here can relate to.

Just joining these forums though is a big step in the right direction. It gives you a voice, lets you tell others your own personal experience and receive the thoughts and support of others who share in your struggles.

It sounds like you're sitting on the fence about gambling: the old reasons that kept you returning to venues are starting to get a little tired and there are just so many other reasons emerging that tell you not to go.

It might help at this stage, to flesh out those old reasons why you were drawn to venues (common reasons are things like helping to forget about other issues in life; the desire to win money; chasing losses etc) and also flesh out fully the many reasons why its now important for you to stop.

Welcome again, and keep us all posted about how you're going.
    0 x
    ooilverhawk

Re: Hoping today is the first day of my recovery

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for sharing , keep it up dear
    0 x
    omar

Return to “Change Makers”