Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here hello

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Kat1234

New here hello

Mon May 31, 2021 11:51 pm

Hello I am struggling to take control of my pokies addiction and wondering anyone has any tips to help? I am getting to the point of feeling very lost and not been able to hold spare money I want to try win more.
    0 x
    Printemps

Re: New here hello

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:06 am

Hey @Kat1234 I just want to start off by saying good on you for reaching out, the first step of asking for help can be really difficult. I would recommend you contact Gambler's Helpline on 1800 858 858, they offer 24/7 over the phone counselling, and are also able to connect you in with services in your area. One option is self-exclusion, this means you would not be able to go into the pokies room at your local venue. The counsellors at Gambler's Helpline are able to help you with that, a sit is done on a state by state basis.

I'd also really recommend you check out our success stories, you can find them here . There are some really great tips and stories from others who have also worked through their struggles with gambling.

Do you have any techniques you've been using thus far?
    0 x
    pamela

Re: New here hello

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Kat1234 and welcome.You have taken the first step towards stopping gambling..
    The hardest thing to do is admit a problem.and you have done that so well done.
    Do you have anyone you could consolidate in that might help you.
    You might be surprised at their reaction and willingness to help.
    Limit the amount of cash you carry..or don't carry cards or cash at all..when I was trying to stop I only held $5.00,just enough if I needed anything like bread or milk.
    Cut up credit cards..self exclude..seek out counselling as it can be really beneficial.
    And tell yourself everyday.
    I WONT GAMBLE TODAY
    Good luck
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”