Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Time to stop for good.

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Swillygee

Time to stop for good.

Mon May 03, 2021 1:51 pm

Hey all, this is my first proper step towards quitting gambling for good. I've struggled for around 15 years and spent well over 100k (very conservative estimate) .

Today was the last straw. I've been "quitting" for the last few weeks. Today I put a small deposit on the online pokies. I then proceeded to win, quite a bit. Over 2k at one stage from a small deposit. With plans to take it out at 2k then 1800 then 15 and you guys probably know the drill. I walked away once I blew the entire 2k with no idea why I did it. And 2k would make a big difference to me at the moment. I just feel sick in the stomach and it makes me want to just launch into my weed stash in the middle of the day to numb out. But I have kids to pick up soon so instead I'm making this post and from this day forward. I will be trying my absolute hardest to kick this habit before it costs me everything.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: Time to stop for good.

Mon May 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi @Swillygee,

Congratulations on your first post and deciding to quit gambling for good! :cool:

Are you going for the 100 Day Challenge?

I'm really glad you decided to write this post rather than launch into your stash.

Sounds like you've had it with the negative consequences that gambling has brought into your life, and there's no need to hit rock bottom before choosing to quit.

Have a look at some of the strategies posted in our blog.

However you decide to go forward about this, you can count on us to support you along the way. :);
    0 x
    ryan1019

Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 pm

Its bloody hard i lost a bit today , ups and downs rather spend more time at home . The machines sicken me.
    1 x
    ryan1019

Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 pm

Whoever else is out there better to stay home be with the partner walk it off, can’t afford to do this **** anymore even with a job and will never borrow.
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat May 08, 2021 12:30 pm

@ryan1019, avoiding places where you might be tempted to gamble is a really great approach to take! so is heading out for a walk, keeping busy with other things is a really constructive way to manage urges and take your mind off the need to gamble.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”