Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Trying to stop

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Cam_442

Trying to stop

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to this and am very addicted to gambling on the horses. Not sure how to stop. I spend my money as soon as I get it in my account t
    2 x
    ryan1019

Re: Trying to stop

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Your not alone and yes Saturdays are tuff and many features on. Me i do take horses and slots and keeping a limit each time but yes losing aint great. Try setting up a direct debit to a savings account and try and focus on hobbies interests that u may have. I know this os an escape e.g stressful work like me work through it, talk about it dont keep it bottled up.
    0 x
    Damaged_Armour

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 am

Cam_442 wrote:
    Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 pm
    Hi Guys,

I am new to this and am very addicted to gambling on the horses. Not sure how to stop. I spend my money as soon as I get it in my account t
    @Cam_442
    Welcome to the club, you will get responses, be patient.
    You can start by doing a few things, if you gamble at a venue, see one of the staff and tell them you'd like to get yourself excluded, if you gamble thru an agency like sportsbet, ring up and tell them you're a gambler and want to cancel your account.
    0 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    AGHS

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Cam, welcome to the forums. You obviously want to reduce the harm you are experiencing from gambling. Can I suggest you talk to your bank about restricting access to your money via your cards for gambling. Some people may suggest blocking the sites you gamble on but I have read too many stories where a person receives invites to gamble pop up from other sites which triggers relapses. However, you could try gamblock or other similar blocking apps. If you reduce access to money, you should then consider linking in with a counsellor to address the underlying issues which led you to gamble. I am not sure what you're 'friend/family' network is like but disclosing to those that are close to you also helps a lot......most people will understand and support you through the process of addressing the gambling addiction. Try setting yourself some small achievable goals....one week could be visit your bank, the next week could be you will tell 2 people close to you and then the next week could be finding a new activity to give you that high (exercising) you would have gotten from gambling. Keep posting to the forum also, we have all been where you are at and are there for you whilst you travel this journey.
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:44 am

Hi @Cam_442 Welcome to the forums! :);
    Thankyou for sharing with us all. Other members have provided some helpful feedback and advice.
    How have things been going the last few days? What steps are you prepared to take from here?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”