Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My 100 day challenge to a better tomorrow

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Cools2036

My 100 day challenge to a better tomorrow

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi Guys,

ive been an on and off problem gambler for quite a few years.
    it seems when ever times got low id revert back to gambling as an outlet or to cure the "numbness" though any mood benefits as you all know with gambling are short lived.

so here i am starting my official 100 day challenge..i have not gambled for just over a week..have permanently done all my self exclusions with online punting.

did anyone else have that little hit of hesitation just when theyre about to press the "submit" button?? jeez this was a shock when i realized it.
    was probably right then and there i knew it ran deep.

i come from a family history of problem gamblers, also depression or mental health.

my stints with gambling saw me lose relationships, jobs, businesses and even run ins with the law...which was another shock...because i have a good job, high morals etc but for some reason when it came to feeding the addiction...morals went out the window. and thats when id have depressive moments of regret...not for the gambling but for any negative affects it had on my loved ones and those around me.

im a much better person that the gambling labels me...and all the mistakes that came from it. so heres to proving that to myself so that there can be one better person in the world.

thanks for hearing me and i look forward to this difficult yet necessary journey to a "Better Me"

Matt
    3 x
    Ila123

Re: My 100 day challenge to a better tomorrow

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi Matt,

Great that you have come here today and good to hear that you have taken some proactive steps towards your goal.

Since you have been one week absence from gambling, what things was helpful to you during this week to stay motivated and focused on your goal?
    0 x
    Cools2036

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:17 am

I Guess the 1 week was somewhat easy as i had some "hate" built up for it all. the pairing of gambling and mental health issues go hand in hand and i chose to just concentrate on some mental health repair so working on the mental health aspect has kept me busy and next thing i know its been a week. I've now built up an association with gambling and "sadness" which is now increasing a "turn off" when it comes to the thoughts of gambling.

it has taken me a long time to build up that association with disaster and gambling....and i hope it stays that way!
    3 x
    Cools2036

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:26 pm

So just an update,
    going through 2 weeks now and now gambling, no real urges either...i think its the longest I've gone in a while and probably the first time since i can remember having money left in my bank account prior to pay day.
    it feels really good, TBH it feel better than the gambling high from winning anything.
    its getting easier everyday, and my progress comes with it more gratitude and support from those around me....its beginning to be a very rewarding milestone.
    2 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Hi Matt,

Sherpa09 here (one of the moderators on the forum). Well done on 2 weeks gambling free! It's never easy to get a hold of the urges that come with gambling, however it seems that you're currently managing them very well. Congrats again and look forward to your future posts.

Regards,

Sherpa09.
    1 x
    AGHS

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi, congratulations on week 2 of gambling free. You will find that as time progresses your desire to gamble will lessen to the point that you can just ignore those urges. I found replacing or redirecting my focus to other more constructive and healthy hobbies to help me immensely and take my mind off my urges. I haven't gambled for a very long time but I had thought about it as I am caring for someone with very challenging behaviours, going to the pokies in my mind was a way to escape. Luckily I did not choose that path and redirected my stress in creating a beautiful garden which is now a go too place when things get too much. We don't connect with nature enough in our busy lives, noticing and appreciating the simplicity of nature can be very soothing and grounding. Anyway, you sound very positive and determined to beat this............don't forget to reward yourself!!!!
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 am

Hi there @Cools2036 :) How have things been going since the last time you shared with us?
    0 x
    Cools2036

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 am

Hi @Calvin (facilitator)

Well today marks my 5th week! and still going strong. I have noticed a huge change in mood. much more chill, less anxious and just all-round happier...
    I don't experience that anger and disappointment that comes form a gambling hangover...so its evident now where that depressive aspect came from.

I haven't had to worry about any post-gambling consequences and it feels freeing...inexplicable really...when you've only known 1 thing for so long its amazing the transition.

Thanks!
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:40 am

Fantastic work! Good to hear that you are keeping on top it.
    Its about moving past those first few weeks where it might feel the hardest, but then once you break that routine you find that your whole outlook changes and urges get less intense!

Keep up the great work! Keep us posted! :)
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”