Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My journey begins

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    PPS56M

My journey begins

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:33 am

Hi All 👋🏾

I’m new here. Been in the gambling game for 7yrs.

Today marks day 3 of my 100 days gamble free challenge and I’m looking forward to tackling the next 97 days ahead - wish me strength.

E 🌟
    3 x
    Stewpus

Re: My journey begins

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm

Welcome
    I'm 10 days new here too and have already found this forum very helpful and supportive. I hope you do too.
    Good luck with this journey 😊
    3 x
    TimTam

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi @PPS56M :);

Wishing you strength and positivity on your journey. Cheering for you!
    2 x
    PPS56M

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Thank you @Stewpus & @TimTam. Wishing you both positivity & Strength too!

Feeling good today, bit nervous that my urges are going to surface the closer payday comes. But positive I can overcome it.

My steps towards a gamble free life:
    1. Have closed all my online pokies accounts and completed exclusion forms for indefinite closure.
    2. Spoken openly to my partner about my addiction & had a great talk together on how he can support me through this - I really am very lucky to have his support
    3. Today I am looking over how much $$ I’ve wasted since this year began, in hopes that it will be the reminder of where i don’t want to be anymore and give me a goal to how much I can SAVE going forward.

More steps to come, hopefully only up from here 🙌🏾
    1 x
    PPS56M

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:26 am

So today is day 5 gamble free. Whilst I had a really good productive day with my Son & did things around the house I couldn’t help but feel a bit agitated - amongst other things contributing I also think a small part of it subconsciously was to do with fighting the urge to not gamble. So I made sure to keep coming to this space and reading peoples stories and honestly it’s been so comforting to know there are others fighting the good fight and living gamble free, and it’s kept me in a positive head space, so thank you to this community for providing that.

I also did some homework today and looked over my 2020 year so far and the total amount I managed to waste away - it certainly was a big eye opener! I’ve now got a savings goal to work towards and it’s given me an exciting challenge with a whole new meaning.

Here’s to being gamble free, 5 down 95 to go...

E 🌟
    2 x
    Mish_27

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:12 am

Well done @PPS56M !

It sounds like you have taken a lot of proactive steps in the right direction! Have you thought about how you might celebrate when you reach the 1 week milestone or 10 day milestone? it is important to celebrate your wins in a positive way. Keep up the good work!
    1 x
    PPS56M

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks @Mish_27

To be honest I haven’t actually thought about that. But that has given me a great idea, today I will make a list of ‘rewards’ for each 10 days of success! Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I will update here what my rewards will be once I’ve had a good think 😊
    2 x
    PPS56M

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Day 6 gamble free and feeling amazing about it!

Having thought about my rewards list, here it is and I figured I’d put why I want these particular rewards - give me some extra motivation!

In no particular order:
    1. A Bike - to take my son out and get some exercise At the same time
    2. Pair of runners - upgrade and motivate me to exercise
    3. Perfume - the really expensive kind that makes you smell & feel good
    4. Massage - I always love a good massage!
    5. Family breakfast outing - I love to eat & spend time with my family
    6. Family dinner outing - as above
    7. A book - I haven’t read an actual hard copy book in a long time, but something I used to enjoy
    8. King Bed - need an upgrade and have always wanted a larger bed, but never saved my money to treat myself to one
    9. Clothes - Freshen up my wardrobe
    10. A weekend getaway - extra spoil!

Here’s to all of us taking a day at a time to work on ourselves and living gamble free, wishing you all strength & positivity!

E🌟
    6 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:14 am

Welldone @PPS56M !

Having a list like this helps to keep you focused! Keep up the great work!
    1 x
    Jc

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 am

Strongest advice I can give is to not look at past losses. They can trigger you to gamble and trick your mind into thinking ‘maybe I can win it all back’.

You can’t undo the past.
    2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”