Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Mother addicted to pokies

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    ktnjns

Mother addicted to pokies

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:04 am

Hi Everyone,

Only new to this site, from what i have seen it all seems to be very welcoming so i thought i would give this a shot.

My mother, has over the past few years developed a horrible addiction to gambling. She is often going out more than 3 times a week to the local pub and spending hundreds of dollars each time. It is causing our family so much heart ache and pain, i am clueless as to how to help. Her attitude towards the situation is out of order and very often aggressive, whenever we bring the issue up it is shrugged off or completely ignored. I feel as there are no other solutions.
    1 x
    AGHS

Re: Mother addicted to pokies

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi, firstly, good on you for reaching out for help. You can phone the gamblers helpline on 1800 058 058 and access support for 'families and friends'. It is difficult trying to talk to someone about an addiction and i could imagine it would be very upsetting when she only responds with anger or ignorance. Stick by her......she needs you more than you know. I was one of those mums too. I took my family through hell and back when my pokie addiction was discovered. It was the shame of being caught out that prompted me to seek professional help. Perhaps going somewhere nice away from all pokies and take mum for a weekend away......when the urge isnt there people tend to be more receptive. Acknowledge that she gambles, she may not want to give up but she may consider limiting how much money and time she loses. Tell her how it is impacting on yourself and the extended family. She probably doesn't realise that she has an addiction, gamblers often dont see what is blatantly obvious, its only the people around them that can see it. Good luck and dont forget to look after yourselves.
    2 x
    gzy3

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Welcome to this forum @ktnjns ! It may have taken a lot of courage to come here.

I do understand how upsetting and worrying it would be to see your mother in denial about her gambling habit. It is completely normal to feel that way.
    Actually there are many family members like you who are concerned and frustrated with their loved ones' gambling.

What you could do despite of her denial can be to communicate your care and love to her that you are concerned with her gambling and you are happy to offer her support and help.
    It would be better to have a chat when she is in a good state, not impacted by her losses or experiencing strong urges to gamble.

As @AGHS advised, calling Gamblers Helpline on 1800 058 058 should be helpful.
    You yourself also are allowed to see a face-to-face gambling counsellor which the helpline can refer you to.
    You can learn how to communicate with your mum and get emotional support to get through this situation.

Don't hesitate to seek help and please look after yourself.
    Welcome to this forum again.
    1 x
    KieranFisher

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Maybe you should take your mother to a doctor, because she won't want to solve the problem herself. She'll feel like everyone's against her and no one will understand what she's sending. How many people around addicts who simply don't see the problem of their passion for gambling.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”