Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • I think my partners gambling is destroying our relationship

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Holly1990

I think my partners gambling is destroying our relationship

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi, I’ve recently noticed my partner completely distance himself after losing a lot of money in gambling (he doesn’t think I know he lost it like that) he claims he paid bills.

Is it normal for them to go cold? Like he now plays on his Computer every night (when we would usually try and watch tv together) and he sleeps on the couch. We hardly talk and now I am considering moving out because the relationship is basically dead.

I know he gambles every day trying to win links etc. and then comes home depressed and broke.

He doesn’t admit he has a problem and if I bring it up it’s just one big argument.

Is this normal.. ?
    0 x
    Chunkyquitter

Re: I think my partners gambling is destroying our relationship

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am

Yep I used to sleep downstairs regularly. After punting it seems impossible to go to bed. Plus I used to bet on the greyhounds chasing my losses.

We used to love watching tv together. Now I’ve stopped it’s as if she has moved on. She watches her tv on the iPad and bit we never watch a show together.

Talks about budgets money etc used to always make me fly if the handle
    0 x
    Icandoit

Re: I think my partners gambling is destroying our relationship

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Right now he can't think of anything else but gambling, chasing his losses. He would lie to you all the time. He's badly affected by the disease 'gambling'. What you can do is ask him to get help. Whatevers gone is gone. Cut your losses and move on. Get help. Support him through the process if he's willing to quit gambling and focus on life. Talk to him. Good luck
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”