Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Activities to do instead of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Vegemite1960

Re: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Well having read through all of this there are some great suggestions. I have been in recovery for 8 years now and sometimes its easy sometimes its not. Find your own path, mine is meditation, building projects at home which use up the cash otherwise used to gamble, just be active and taking life on life's terms each day. :);
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:23 am

Hello Everyone :D How have we all been travelling?
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello to you.
    I am doing really well
    Very happy after hearing the Bulldogs Football Club has got rid of all their poker machines.a small victory even though the MRC has purchased them..
    1 x
    pricey1981

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:55 pm

pamela wrote:
    Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 pm
    Hello to you.
    I am doing really well
    Very happy after hearing the Bulldogs Football Club has got rid of all their poker machines.a small victory even though the MRC has purchased them..
    Central Districts?
    1 x
    pamela

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Nah..AFL Bulldogs
    0 x
    HelpfulBee

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Hey @Kevcollingwood, @Icandoit , @Jc , @Mamamia , @Lookin4Help @Eesamay !

Just thought you might like to read some of the suggestions of activities to do instead of gambling, or maybe if we're really lucky, you would like to add some of your own suggestions for activities to do!

You all have so much insight in to your situation, and there maybe someone else on the forums one day that would really benefit from hearing about what works for you, because it may be the thing that works for them too! :);

-HelpfulBee
    2 x
    Two1

Sun May 02, 2021 1:10 pm

I often am very lonely, I don't have hobbies that I enjoy, I often am depressed and anxious, I feel distant and isolated from friends and family, I find I'm often in very toxic relationships and the last relationship I was in introduced me to the pokies. Since then, I have developed a real gambling problem where I get urges all day everyday.
    I'm reaching out on this forum as a last resort, recognising I have a problem.
    I am reaching out for help in the pit of things.
    0 x
    TheTiges

Sun May 02, 2021 4:42 pm

Hi @Two1,

Welcome to the forums. You've definitely come to the right place for support. I'm really glad you've decided to ask for help. And please give yourself a pat on the shoulder, it takes a lot of courage to speak up.

I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. Have you talked to a GP about feeling depressed and anxious? Is there a particular reason why you're feeling isolated from friends and family?

Have a look at our section on 'Take a step forward', you'll find very useful information and strategies. For example, have a read at this post on urges.

If you feel like you need to talk to someone, you can call our counsellors for free 24/7 on 1800 858 858.

Please don't hesitate to keep reaching out. We're here for you.
    The Team
    0 x
    Kkernot

Fri May 14, 2021 10:29 pm

A list of distractions is great but how do you get yourself from the urge to the distraction ?
    Without relapsing.
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 15, 2021 11:02 am

hi @Kkernot some people find techniques such as urge surfing useful. This involves visualising yourself surfing the crest of the craving wave, you'll feel it build, peak, subside, and finally break. It is a useful way to help you ride it out the urge. It is useful to ground yourself and give yourself some space to think clearly about what you actually want to do, rather than be carried away by the urge. The more times you are able to ride though an urge the easier it becomes to over come then. Remember, one day at a time.

Does anyone else have any other techniques they use @Menz199 , @Squeaky ?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”