Success Stories

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Success Stories

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Well Done Oregon!
Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby Oregon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm

I have been off these forums for a while but coming back on I see so many great success stories.
Personally I have stopped gambling completely, my signature says it was January but there was one or two small relapses around March.
I've even started paying back a friend who has lent me a huge amount of money over a few years, which is an amazing feeling.

Hope reading this inspires.
It's bloody tough but it is worth it.

-Oregon
Gamble free since 29.05.18
Oregon

Postby dragon007 (facilitator) » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:43 am

Well done Bill!
dragon007 (facilitator)

Postby 12121266 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 pm

I am 33 days into the 100 day challenge. My name is bill and I am 22 years old. My gambling addiction started at the age of 18. I have learnt so much about myself and still learning how to battle this dark shadow that has constantly been following me for the past four years.

The past 33 days has been a fantastic, the voice that has told me " bill go down to the TAB and place a bet " has definitely soften. I believe there is hope for me and us all who have a problem. A wise old man told me not to long a go that self discipline is key to having a steady life and I completely agree with him.

This forum has been a huge help for me reading your stories and realising there is help and support has been fantastic. WE CAN BEAT GAMBLING TOGETHER And WE WILL!!

Thanks for letting me share my brief story all the best with your Recovery's

Kind Regards Bill

Postby Bowdit » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Back to day one borrowing money to feed my family stand up guy
Bowdit

Postby will94 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm

hey guys

i just want to try and help others , who may be in the position i used to be in , about 10 months ago i ended up losing everything, everything i loved, my beautiful fiance who i was with for 6 long years who meant the world to me , my home , my belongings ,my pet, friends and everything else that goes hand in hand with them. I started down the slippery slope off gambling from a young age , and it grew stronger and stronger as each day passed , as it took hold of me and started to take over my life , i went down a very dark path, i started putting on weight , my social life slowly vanished , i stopped doing all the things i loved and gambling became my number one in life. i remember standing over that ATM machine ready to withdraw cash to gamble with and reading the poster above , which stated where does your gambling stop , and i remember the last step was losing your loved ones and i always thought to myself that will never happen to me ,well guess what it did .

Right now apart from still battling with the fact of losing her , Ive never felt better , i haven't gambled once in the last 10 months , haven't thought about it haven't missed it ,i feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders, ive been travelling , brought things i always wanted but never would buy , started new hobbies , back in the gym and im focused on bettering myself as a person and i have learnt so much about myself good and bad,but i dont want anyone else getting to the stage i did !when the only wake up call to stop gambling is losing everything you have , i dont want you to get to that stage ,get a hold of this while you can, because trust me a life without gambling is amazing !!

if you want to talk more , or want help dont be afraid to ask its the best thing you'll ever do.
will94

Postby Rusdog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Scott1 wrote:Just dropping in with the quick version - I'm almost two years pokie-free now after they almost ruined me. I received invaluable help from a local organisation (NSW Far North Coast) which helped retrain my brain - it helped me to think differently about pokie machines and gambling in general. I still gamble on occasion, but aside from two large-ish relapses involving roulette and sports betting, I've been very well behaved these past two years. These days, if and when I gamble, I feel like a true recreational gambler as opposed to a compulsive/degenerate one - I'm now throwing $10 on Keno once every few weeks, instead of punting away my paycheck every week on the machines. The biggest difference I notice now is my mentality - I don't give a **** if my $10 yields nothing, nor do I have any compulsion to persevere with my numbers and chase the $10 I've lost - half the time I don't even care enough to check my ticket before leaving! My biggest issue in the past was being unable to quit - even when I was winning. Doesn't matter how strong your addiction is - nobody is born a problem gambler - you learned that behavior, and it can be unlearned too.

I'm not a high earner, but I managed to repay almost $20k worth of gambling related debt within 15 months, finishing last September. Days one and two of my 100 day challenge I physically broke down into tears upon reflection of what I'd been doing to myself, and the anxiety of facing that mountain of debt was crippling. I started with $25 a week until I'd rebuilt a small savings fund for life expenses, and from there I started repaying larger amounts as I could afford it. I'm proof that it doesn't matter how deep the hole gets - the first step doesn't have to be a big one, just as long as you take it.

I am struggling so much. It is putting me on the edge. How do you do it. Urges get me. I feel upbeat than im done in the dumpsters.
Rusdog

Postby Jeddie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi, I have tried to watch that video but I can’t keep up with the subtitles�
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Oregon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Herc wrote:I have been pathological gambler, and I managed to heal.
https://youtu.be/Oa9wNU8uNB8

Thanks for that video. So truthful.
Gamble free since 29.05.18
Oregon

Postby pamela » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:45 pm

What a great outcome for you Troy..enjoy your new and improved life
pamela

Next

Return to The Courtyard