Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • lost my hard earnt savings within 3 weeks

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    virgona

lost my hard earnt savings within 3 weeks

Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Made my 1st bet on grandfinal day. thats when the bug hit me.. i thought this was great. i had 30 grand in savings, that i worked my *** off for. i quit my job as i needed a break and wanted some time to relax. next thing i new i started gambling on the lad brokes app. it was all good at the start. i was winning. it was like free money. bat thats where it all went wrong. in the space of 2 days i blew my whole 30 thousand dollars. the bug hit me. i wasnt in the right head space. i lost all money. and now i dont have a job. its been 3 days now of processing what i did. i feel sick. I cant eat. and ive never felt so depressed. im now feeling like ive hit rock bottom. i feel like i want to cry but i have no teers. and the hard part is im to scared to tell anyone close to me what ive done.. I wish i could have a time machine right now to go back to the ******** i was being and punch the **** out of him..
    1 x
    ashcampbell248

Re: lost my hard earnt savings within 3 weeks

Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:47 pm

hey don’t beat yourself up too much. it happens and it’s ok that it happens.. we can become so. extremely caught up on the fix of it all we lose touch with reality. don’t be too afraid of telling your friends/family, just tell a few that you trust for now. take your time, only when you are ready tho. if they love you they will understand. we all make mistakes and that’s ok. be kind to yourself, tomorrow’s a new day. 🧡
    1 x
    pricey1981

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:23 am

virgona wrote:
    Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:44 pm
    Made my 1st bet on grandfinal day. thats when the bug hit me.. i thought this was great. i had 30 grand in savings, that i worked my *** off for. i quit my job as i needed a break and wanted some time to relax. next thing i new i started gambling on the lad brokes app. it was all good at the start. i was winning. it was like free money. bat thats where it all went wrong. in the space of 2 days i blew my whole 30 thousand dollars. the bug hit me. i wasnt in the right head space. i lost all money. and now i dont have a job. its been 3 days now of processing what i did. i feel sick. I cant eat. and ive never felt so depressed. im now feeling like ive hit rock bottom. i feel like i want to cry but i have no teers. and the hard part is im to scared to tell anyone close to me what ive done.. I wish i could have a time machine right now to go back to the ******** i was being and punch the **** out of him..
    Hi there
    I'd talk to a close friend or family member, they will be there for you. I found that when i didn't open up about my struggles with it that it got worse over time and i dug myself into a worse position.
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am

Hi there @virgona
    Welcome to the forums, and good on you for reaching out.
    It sounds like things have been quite tough for you. I understand it can be incredibly hard to go through this alone and I'm glad you have made the choice to reach out to us all here on the forums for some support.
    Sometimes it does take time for some people to hit that 'rock bottom' in order to realize the damage that gambling causes. As much as we all would wish to have the power to go back to the past and change past decisions, we can only move forward to make healthier choices for the future.
    Right now, try treat yourself with kindness, if you feel comfortable doing so you can have a discussion with a close friend/family member, Otherwise if you feel you're not comfortable with that idea just yet, you can always reach out to a gambling counsellor on our 24 hour helpline by phone/webchat for support or a referral.
    In the mean time try to think of different ways to respond to your urges to gamble, think of activities/hobbies that can help distract you during that time. I would also suggest installing the 100 day challenge app to help manage your progress throughout : https://www.100dc.com.au/

Any other members have any helpful support or advice for virgona during this time?

@pamela @Mickey40
    1 x
    pamela

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 am

Hi and welcome..one thing I learnt is not to beat yourself up .What happened has happened and it can't be changed..what can be,is how you live .
    Sure everything looks bleak right now and it will for awhile,but,things can only get better
    Install the 100 day challenge.take each day one at a time
    Don't dwell on what was, but think about what can be now
    Confide in someone,and yes thats tough,but most times its like easing that burden, and it really does help to have someone on side who will support you
    Consider counselling
    Get rid of all your gambling apps
    Limit the cash you carry,don't carry your cards with you
    Come here for support
    Don't give up on yourself
    And remember
    I will not gamble today
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”