Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • The beginning of the end!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Coltjones14

The beginning of the end!

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 am

Hi so I’m new to this, well I mean I’ve been wasting my money for years but I want to stop! I’ve tried a few time on my own and told myself I would but there is alway one race that I have to bet on!
    It’s come to the point though where I now completely hide it from my partner and I can see it bringing us apart, I’ll pretend to go somewhere just to get time to watch a race, and I’ll lie as to why I can’t get the shopping this week because I had to pay a bill that is still there to be paid. I can’t come clean too her until I have got out of the hole though as I know this time she will leave she was close the last time when I was supposed to have stopped I did for a few months but now I’m back tumbling again.
    I’ve started to hate myself and just need to be able to connect to be able to achieve this.
    Gambling mainly horse racing is the only connect I have with my father it’s all we talk about and I’m worried that giving up that will leave us nothing to talk about. But I know it’s what triggers me to start again.
    Guess I’m just writing on here to find some support maybe guidance as the best way too start my recovery.
    1 x
    pamela

Re: The beginning of the end!

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 am

Well done on coming here looking for help..it is a tough decision but what is really important to you? Your partner? Your well being?
    I understand the connection you have with your father but there are more things to do/talk about other than horse racing.
    Lying, unable to pay bills..is this how you really want to live??
    Be determined..be honest with your partner AND your father.ask your partner for help..give your cards to her..you have taken the first step so keep going forward..you CAN do this.
    Good luck
    0 x
    TimTam

Re: The beginning of the end!

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi @Coltjones14

Thank you for sharing your story and sharing your worries. It's understandable you would be scared to open up to your partner, but remember you can't get yourself out of this hole by winning money back. Gambling to chase losses will no doubt leave you in an even worse position than you are now.
    What have you tried in the past that has helped you to stop or control it?
    Have you thought about speaking to one of our counsellors on the phone confidentially? You can always call the helpline on 1800 858 858 any time if you feel like you need extra support.
    Wishing you luck
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”