Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • How to go back to a normal life?

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    adam93

How to go back to a normal life?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi im new here and this is my story,

So I was a store manager of a place and would occasionally gamble on poker "card game" in particular plo5 I would win extra $300/400 a week consitnaly lose hands as you do but always was profiting. I made leap to play poker full time and quit my job with 3k saved I used it as a bank roll I played 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week wake up eat poker sleep every single day. I have a lot of friends so I wasn't worried losing a social life because I knew when I was ready could go back to it. in 6months I accumulated a bit over $100,000 it took me just a week and half to lose it.. wasn't anything I did wrong myself was just a lot of really unlucky hands and a bit of tilt and anger.. I lost a hand for around $7,000 to a bad beat 5% chance he had to win and next hand threw away $10,000 at my old job I was earning $900 a week which is very very small. so $10,000 is a lot of hard earned hours that I just didn't see the value of as it wasn't physically in my hand. I recently had to go on centerlink as I have no money about a month ago my first pay for $500 I put on poker and made $3,100 I cashed out and decided to look for a job the next day I put $500 in and literally first hand I get bad beat and lose $300 out of anger I re deposit to try chase loses and end up losing all the money again. I don't know what to do its different playing a card game against people then pokies I feel I can beat them but my luck is running so bad how can I go back to a job paying $800-1000 a week when I made $100,000 in 6 months. I don't come from a rich family so its me supporting myself. you hear all the success story of players and I feel it would be me but every-time I win I end up losing it all how do I figure out the right choice?
    1 x
    pamela

Re: How to go back to a normal life?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 am

Listening to your story makes me sad..you win big and lose big..you know you can't win regardless of the wins you have had..
    A job gives you a steady income..
    There are no winners with gambling
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: How to go back to a normal life?

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi @adam93 ,
    Welcome to the forums!

Gambling can be a complicated relationship and almost all the time, it is toxic. It can be a whole lot of back and forth, wins and losses, but then after a while without realizing, winning is taken out of the equation and we find ourselves in this cycle of chasing etc.
    Sounds like you're at this cross road son what to do and what choice to make at this time. Try making a list weighing up the pros and cons of gambling so its clear in front of you. Ask yourself what the future will hold if you continue down a certain road.

There are gambling counselling services you can access if you like which can be a great help for long term support.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”