Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Sunlight September - on now!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    BrittV (facilitator)

Sunlight September - on now!

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:47 am

To mark the beginning of Spring, we're running a September Sunlight Challenge!

We all know that being outside improves our mood. Not only does evidence continue to show it, but we ourselves feel it!!
    Whether it's completely sunny or not, being outdoors supports our mental well-being - it's literally the most important thing for us as humans. Time in the sun lifts our mood, supports physical health, and often means we're doing something good for ourselves at the same time. Sunshine also symbolises new growth and rejuvenation. An important part of making changes to your gambling is looking after yourself, finding new pass-times, and finding joy in new ways.

So we're running a fun community challenge! For the month of September, share here the little things you're doing each day to get a more sunlight in your day.
    It's casual, flexible, and can be whatever activities you want it to be, and it's open to everyone - the more the merrier. Join in any time in the month, let us know your ways, and encourage one another to take a little time to look after ourselves each day. I'll be joining in too, and am really looking forward to it!
    4 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: Sunlight September - on now!

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Happy first day of Spring everyone!!!

Today I’ve started getting more sunlight by having my morning coffee outside with the dog :) starting the day outdoors felt really refreshing.

Also repotted a couple of my plants into bigger pots, getting them ready for some awesome Spring growth 😍

What about you guys?
    3 x
    Mona58

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm

I really enjoy sitting outside a cafe with coffee / cake and a book and the sun warming my back. It's nice be able to afford and enjoy little normal things of life.

Mona
    3 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    pamela

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 am

I had lunch outside in the sunshine..it was pleasant feeling the sun warm my cold old bones
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:48 am

That's awesome @Mona58 and @pamela! Both sound lovely.

When stopping something that's been such a major part of your life, it's also so important to think about what you'll do with your new-found time, and for many, new identity! I know you've both spoken a lot about the things you've started (drama, cooking, reading etc) since being gamble-free.. Something I think you've both been really admirable with.

I walked this morning instead of taking the bus, and looked at all the lovely gardens beginning to spring to life! That's an extra 15 minutes of being outside in the fresh air!
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 am

Our latest blog explores the health benefits of getting more sunlight in your day - check it out!
    4 x
    clearthatmind

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm

While I'm not working (I am looking for work) I get up quite early (around 6) and go for a stroll around my Cairns suburb and watch the sunrise, awesome! In my area and just before sunrise for some reason, the Ibises and Curlews walk up and down the pathway which reminds me of some animated film. It's so funny and it looks like they're trying to fit in. I thank God for the joy, the sunshine and the start of a new day. In saying that, I have been lapsing recently but that's another story. I just try to appreciate things a bit more these days.

Yes, get out in the sunshine if it's around. You can't go wrong in beautiful north Queensland
    4 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6
    gzy3

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi @clearthatmind
    Thank you for sharing!
    I agree that appreciating things you have got around you brings you a lot of nice feelings - calmness, compassion, satisfaction, sense of belonging to something larger, etc.
    I wish I could see the hilarious movement of these lovely birds.
    Walking both daytime and night time and watching out for animals (possums only recently) and beautiful plans/flower is definitely my favourites.
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

Bit of sunlight inspiration coming into the weekend..

Making change in gambling can be a stressful. It's important to take care and be kind to yourself.
    This SELF article gives a nice summary of the benefits of healthy sunlight.
    1. Better mood
    2. Deeper sleep (yay!)
    3. Lower blood pressure
    4. Reduced risk of some cancers
    5. Stronger bones

I've been making an effort to ensure I walk everyday. I've been really enjoying it! I've got a couple of (very amater phone) photos of flowers from my walks..

This weekend I'm taking the dog for a big walk, and a friend and I are having a coffee at the park. What do you plan to do this weekend to be outside more?
    3 x
    Mongoose

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm

What a beautiful spring day here today !!!
    The sun is shining no wind just perfect I spent the first part of my day having brunch with friends then went and spent time brushing my horses it’s amazing how good you feel being out doors just for a few hours , just the peace you get from being outside it’s very relaxing . I am hoping tomorrow the weather is just as good planning on doing some gardening it is a good distraction and a great way to de stress .Mongoose
    4 x

Return to “The Courtyard”