Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • First Time Help

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Mak888

First Time Help

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 am

I could never have imagined I would be doing this...
    I started gambling just small amounts of money when I was 18, and gradually after winning here and there the bets got bigger, the desperation became all consuming of me and only 3 years later at 21 I have found myself stealing thousands of dollars to play, lying, ruining relationships and my life.

I have never wanted to admit that I had a problem, I still hate the idea of it, feeling like a failure for having to reach out.

It breaks my heart looking back on all the horrendous things I've done to feed this habit and there has to be a time for it to stop. I've never felt more ashamed and guilty of anything.
    I'm not sure where to go from here but posting this is a start I suppose.
    2 x
    AussiePear

Re: First Time Help

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

I am where you are. Total disgust of my behaviour. I started at 21. Fast forward almost 20 years. I have come to realise I have to change. I can’t offer advice because it’s still so raw. The emotions, the guilt. You have not wasted half ur life like I have gambling. Good luck finding a new u
    1 x
    Dan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Hey mate im in the same boat started at 18 ...little amounts on the pokies then yesrs later got addicted to sports betting on my phone im now 27 and have gambled heavy all the way till now.. i wouldve lost between 1-200k easy..but im making a stop ive asked all my gambling accounts be deleted ive opened a savings account and i know i can do this...yes ive tried many times and failed but this is it...and if i can do it you can to mate.. ive been through everything suicide...debt...relationships crumbled..its horrible i know :( ...but we can make a stand and we will.. good luck mate any questions or wana chat just shoot me a message.
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Mak888..you have made the right decision in coming here for support.yes the gambling has taken hold but you are still young enough to get off this roundabout and start fresh.is there anyone you can confide in?
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi Mak888..you have made the right decision in coming here for support.yes the gambling has taken hold but you are still young enough to get off this roundabout and start fresh.is there anyone you can confide in?
    Ask for help as there is plenty around and don't be afraid to ask for it..learn what your triggers are ..
    Beating this habit is hard but can be done..take it one day at a time
    Remember.. no gambling today
    Good luck
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi @Mak888 ,

Calvin here, one of the facilitators on the forums. Welcome!
    You have already achieved two steps already to becoming free from gambling.
    1. You have acknowledged that gambling is an issue
    2. You have reached out for some support.

The next stage can be the action stage, where you can understand your urges and triggers, read other members' posts and linking into a gambling counsellor, possibly even self-exclusion (banning yourself)

Be kind and patient to yourself. Its easy to fall into that mindset of being a failure, but whats most important is accepting the money that is spent, the choices we made and try to make small changes in order to achieve the ultimate goal of being free from gambling.

Even though everyone aims to prevent having a slip up, it isn't unheard of that people can slip up. Just as long as we learn from that experience so we better know how to manage it in the future.
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:51 am

You’re very young and so much time to rebuild. Learn some tools be honest with those with around you let others manage your money and the rest of your life will be successful.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”