Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Welcome to our newest members @mumboss and @HBDM!!!

Please feel free to post and intro of yourself by clicking 'Post reply' at the bottom on this page. We would love to hear what brought you to the forums.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.
    :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:10 pm

Welcome to our newest member @nndr7!

Please feel free to post and intro of yourself. Would be great to know what brought you here.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums.
    :);
    0 x
    TheTiges

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Lew123 and @Mangotree44 This is a space to share your story with gambling addiction and recovery. Everyone here has their own lived experience, whether it be their own or that of a loved one. When you're ready, we'd love to hear what brought you here.
    1 x
    Antz1010

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 pm

Hi everyone
    I’m new here I’m 29 I have been gambling since 18 mainly on the pokies I’m happily married but I hide my gambling addiction from my wife It’s changing me and it’s making me feel quite low and it’s having a affect on my mood I have guilt as I have incurred a debt without her knowledge and it’s just crappy feeling to feel hoping things will change for me in the future taking steps to a better road
    0 x
    Printemps

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:52 pm

hi @Antz1010 I want to take a second to say it's really great that you've reached out. It can be really hard to actually tell people when you've got a problem, so good on you for taking the first step. Do you have any techniques in place to support you right now?
    0 x
    RMac

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Hi,

I'm a 34 year old female. I've always dabbled with pokies, but over the last 6-12 months it's gotten really bad. I pretty much hit rock bottom a couple of days ago. I maxed out my card, borrowed money from strangers in the pub, and waited until midnight so i could max out my card again. I woke up the next day to $45 in my bank account. I lied to my family, my partner and myself about how in control i was.. I need to make changes but it's scary and hard.. I guess I'm just looking for some support and strategies to stay away.. I always have great plans of how I'm going to stop, it just never seems to happen.. Reading the posts has helped so I'm hopeful..

Cheers,
    RMac
    2 x
    Ila123

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi @RMac

I want to start off by saying reaching out here is a great first step. It can be really hard to share your story, so good on you! It sounds like you've had a really difficult time

If you're interested, you can try put the 100 day challenge viewforum.php?f=17 . We have a thread for them here .
    A lot of people find it a useful way to track how they're going and to also help keep themselves accountable.
    What strategies or plans have you though about it that might be useful for you?

Let us know how you're tracking this weekend, and just remember, one day at a time.
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:08 pm

I just wanted to welcome some new members @Townsvillechicky and @Chick13 These forums are a space for peer support and connection. You can share your story in this thread, and find others who have had similar experiences with gambling addiction and recovery. Everyone here has lived experience and are able to share insight and strategies for staying on track. We look forward to hearing for you :);
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:12 pm

hey at @RMac as @Ila123 said, good on your for reaching out, it can be scary, but it's a good first step. The 100 Day Challenge is a really great way to keep track of yourself when you're starting on this journey. I would reccomend checking out @Anita44 thread here , as she also struggled with the pokies, but has now reached a month pokie free! The main thing right now is to take it day by day.

How are you doing today?
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:13 pm

hey @Antz1010 I just wanted to check in and see how you're travelling?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”