Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Welcome to our newest members @chrismadsen and @Nate98!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourselves or ask any questions you might have. Within this forums you can share and connect with other people going through similar experiences. There's plenty of useful information around if you just feel like navigating the forums. You might want to try out the 100 Day Challenge or go through the Success Stories.

Looking forward to following your journeys. :);
    0 x
    Nellypurple

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi My first time here. I guess my journey should begin. Last year's lockdown was a blessing for me as stopped pokies cold turkey.
    I've always liked a little play but lately it has begun to really impact me with my finances. I find myself losing control and losing myself when I play.
    It's always been a release for me when I'm feeling stressed out!. I think I need to find something else to do to curb my urge to go play...
    Looking for ideas, suggestions and what has helped other people. I want to get my life back on track and take control but I'm not sure what to do next. I feel to embarrassed to tell my partner. Thanks for anything you suggest.
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:40 am

Welcome to the forums @Nellypurple!
    It's great that you've reached out for support as this can often be one of the hardest steps, so well done.

You have definitely come to the right place. As a starting point, there's two tools you can use straight away: self-exclusion from venues and software apps such as Gamban to block gambling apps from your phone and computer. You might also want to have a look at some Change strategies here. Finding something else to do instead of the pokies is a fantastic idea. Do you have any hobbies you could do as a replacement activity? Have you thought about trying out the 100 Day Challenge?

I'm going to tag a few members that can share with you what's helped them: @pamela @JinxyWolf @Damaged_Armour @Mona58 @Anita44 @Kevcollingwood @Chandyyy99 @BrisbaneLad

Please keep us posted on how you go. I'm looking forward to following your journey. :);
    1 x
    anj

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:22 pm

I have been on the 100 Day challange and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone. I’m at day 6 currently and had a little lapse yesterday but once I started and had a bet I took control and woke up to myself and withdrew the money I had in there and then self excluded myself to prevent me from gambling on there.
    It felt refreshing and empowering to see what I had done and what I had to do to stop this.
    No way can we fix ourselves just like that, it’s not that easy but taking control 1 day at a time can help. Thankyou to all the counsellors on here and other gamblers. Let’s get our lives back and be free of this disease.
    AnJ
    2 x
    Printemps

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:14 pm

welcome to the forums @Cookiej and @User 615d57ce258a2

These forums are a place for you to share a bit about yourself, your goals and your journey. You can post a bit in this thread. Everyone here has lived experience and is here to offer advice and support.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums :o
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 am

Welcome to our newest member @Chloe_!

This is a safe and non-judgemental community, so please feel free to post an intro about yourself and let us know a bit of what brought you to the forums or what would you like to find here. You might want to go through the 100 Day Challenge thread or the Success Stories if you're looking for suggestions on what has worked for other people.

Looking forward to hearing your story. :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:53 am

Welcome to our newest members @Cant stay away and @Anon5555!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves here or ask us any questions you might have. You will find in these forums many other people going through similar experiences, some useful resources and the support of the community.
    A good place to start navigating the forums is the 100 Day Challenge section or the Success Stories thread.

Looking forward to getting to know your stories. :);
    0 x
    Printemps

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:11 am

welcome new members @Unknown9911 and @User 58b266cb7fec1

These forums are a space for you to share your journey with others who have lived experience! This is a judgement free place to share advice and support, and help each other with the ups and downs of this journey!

Youm might find it useful to check out the Success Stories for a little inspiration, or to check out the 100 Day Challenge threads and see how other members are travelling!

You can post a little about yourself in this thread here, maybe your goals and what bought you to the forums today. I'll see you around the forums :)
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:14 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Bianca44, @asm464597 and @Jackb!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves here or ask any questions. This is a non-judgemental community where you can get support and support other people going through similar experiences.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :);
    0 x
    Printemps

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Welcome to @Gurpreetsingh12 , @User1907, @Wochelle and @Jakesull

These forums are judgement free space fr you to share your experiences with recovery! Everyone here has lived experience and is here to offer support and advice.

You might find it useful to check out the 100 Day Challenge Threads and the Success Stories, for a little motivation!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”