Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Feeling so bad..

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Laydar

Feeling so bad..

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi this is my first time posting
    I'm so ashamed of myself and just feel so disgusted
    I got paid today and spent 3000 of it on the pokies before even reaching home... I managed to keep 600 only because my limit of withdrawal at the ATM machine was up!
    I've honestly spent close to or even over $100000 in 4 years.
    I've recently started borrowing money off friends!
    I'm a high income earner and in a stressful managerial job so the pokies are a great stress relief
    But $3000 tonight... has really got me down and I can't shake this feeling tonight ...
    No one knows about my gambling issues except the workers at the venue who see me continually going back to pull more money out!
    I feel like an absolute disaster tonight ....I should know better but I ding
    1 x
    pamela

Re: Feeling so bad..

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Good on you for recognising your problem and coming here.
    Firstly,ditch your cards so you can't withdraw money
    Or..if you have a friend or family member you can confide in..ask them to hang on to your cards
    If your job is stressful..try the gym ..or walking ..or the movies..anything but the Pokies
    Put some strategies in place when you get paid so the need to play is minimised
    Good luck
    1 x
    Laydar

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:52 am

Thank you for commenting.
    I am going to leave all cards at home from now on.. I need to do something.
    I barely slept last night as I was continually thinking about it
    I can't believe I am so stupid and selfish. I don't know how I'll work today
    It's like a curse and I don't have the will to fight it :( I'm hoping that will change
    1 x
    JinxyWolf

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi Laydar and Welcome,

Firstly I believe you do have the will to fight this addiction and you have shown that by coming here to this forum and facing your gambling issue head on.

Guilt, Shame, feeling Stupid is something we all have to deal with when we finally decide to face our addiction but don't let those emotions drag you down. These feelings will ease the further you get away from gambling and start to achieve your goals and start hitting your milestones.

Leaving your cards at home is a great way to avoid impulse gambling, I myself gave up all access to cash by giving my mother all my ATM cards. It's a good way to take the pressure off. If you feel like you want to gamble not having access to instant cash really gives you a chance to think about why you want to gamble and what the consequences of giving into that urge to gamble really are.

Be kind to yourself and try not to beat yourself up to much. We all have made those bad decisions but they don't have to define our future.
    We all deserve a gamble free future.

JinxyWolf
    3 x

Return to “Change Makers”