Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Can't stop no matter how much I try... So over this problem

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Churchesss1

Can't stop no matter how much I try... So over this problem

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:55 am

Just over a month ago I made a new topic in this forum about how after a year of sportsbetting (betting on AFL, Cricket, NBA, NRL, NFL etc), I would finally just give it up after wanting to for so long. I have lost close to $40,000 for the year, probably more. I basically have nothing to show from a year of work.

However, For the last 5 or 6 weeks after making my original post in this forum, i've continued sportsbetting and have gambled away nearly $5,000 in total... money that should only be sitting in my bank account. Money that's only adding to me previous losses of $40,000 plus. No matter how much i try to quit and put locks on my sportsbetting accounts, I'll be bored at home nothing to do, and all of a sudden the urge comes and i fight to get my sportsbetting accounts back and hit the punt again, only to lose week after week's pay cheque.

I'm at a point where I have no idea what to do and these are the issues i'm facing/reasons why i gamble.

- I work for a major TV company covering sport (NRL, AFL, Cricket etc) and every second I'm reminded on gambling and just feel that urge from the love and passion i have for sports.

- I once had nearly $20,000k piled up in my bank account and can't handle looking at my bank account and seeing only a few hundred bucks. So i try gamble and get some back.

- People will say find hobbies which I do, i go to the gym every day, I like to hang out with mates, i work full time and go to Uni, I also try play a little PS4 when I have time. However given how easy it is to simply bet on my phone, there's always a time and moment where i find the comfort to gamble.

- I'm also just super impatient, if i saved up for 2-3 months, i would have so much money back that i lost... but i just can't handle waiting and want it back as fast as i can.

- I'm also only 21 and don't have as many bills to pay other than random stuff, which will only be like a few hundred bucks a month etc. So knowing i can pocket most of what I earn is what makes me feel like it's okay to gamble as i will just get back everything i lose the next week.

I keep trying to quit and even tho i gamble, i hate it! I get so addicted i bet on stuff like women's cricket? Sport i couldn't care less about, but am desperate to make money and win back losses. I just don't know how to stop. Would love any stories or anyone who's been in similar positions/gambling interests and what your story was/how you stopped? i really need some motivation and some way to stop.
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Re: Can't stop no matter how much I try... So over this problem

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 am

I know the feeling of blowing huge money.
    Makes me want to continuously vomit with the amount I've spent.

All I can say is you are young and have so much time. I am almost 40, and started at 18.

My advice would be transfer or set up an account and get a family member to control it. Otherwise the temptation is always there.
    Let's say you transfer 700pf, at the end of the day if you crack and blow what you have in your account, you at least have something building up on the side.

But you are so young, you need to get on top of this now, you dont want to end up like so many of the rest of us on here who have spent 15/20/25 years plus in this nightmare.

All the best with your quest, but palm some of your money off.
    2 x
    TimTam

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi @Churchesss1

Im TimTam, one of the facilitators on GH online.

Thank you for sharing your post, it was honest and insightful.
    You mentioned its so difficult to stop online betting as it is so easily accessible... Have you looked into blocking programs for your devices?
    Programs such as http://www.gamblock.com/index.html and https://www.betfilter.com/ can block all your access to gambling sites/ apps/ pop-us etc.
    @How the F did I get here also suggested a good strategy- of getting a trusted person to manage finances. This might be something to try, because when someone else has your money, you cannot access any to gamble with. Ideally you want to make it as difficult as possible for you to gamble, so putting in place many strategies is paramount.
    Have you considered getting further help such as free & confidential gambling counselling?

Kind Regards,

TimTam
    0 x
    pamela

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:49 pm

I played the pokies and dont know a real lot about sports betting except that it is easy accessible by phone..so I have a thought..buy a phone that is just a phone..no internet..if you dont have access..perhaps the temptation will lessen..it might help..
    Good luck
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Hey Churchess,

How are you doing?
    I hope 2019 is going well for you and your quest to be gamble free.

Things can only improve if you stop gambling.
    1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”