Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My Last Day One

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    JC

Re: My Last Day One

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Other than that $50 bet, things are going well. Which is A LOT better than previous binges. Need to get through this next weekend completely gambling free. Then I'm going to start splurging on things I wouldnt normally afford. I find that the more money you save, the easier it is to relapse.

Short term goal: not gamble
    Long term: save money
    0 x
    Jc

Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Everyday is just a constant struggle. Been reading, working out , eating okay. But when the weekend hits...I need to keep my mind occupied. Thinking of going hiking.

Will also use some money I saved not gambling to donate to a charity this week.
    0 x
    Jc

Thu May 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Still going strong, only bet $50 since I posted this up which is almost a record for me.

Weekend is vastly approaching. Need strategies to come through the weekend unscathed. The hardest part about being a sports bettor is that I can do it from my iphone. Thats all it takes. So no matter what I do, or where I am, within 30 seconds I can have a bet placed. I dont need to drive to a venue. Thats the scary part.
    0 x
    Mona58

Thu May 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Jc

I feel for you I really do. nearly every time I look at the Tv there's an ad for gambling! Got to be really strong. Fight those urges! You can do it!

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    chilaxis

Thu May 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Jc, just sharing my experience and hope it can help. Before my last lapse, I thought I could just keep one last remaining gambling account (had all others closed and self-excluded) and be disciplined enough not to gamble. And I failed for the same reason that you've alluded to that it's so easy to just place a bet on the phone when the urge comes.

Since my last lapse, I decided to self-exclude even from the last one - and so far it's worked for me as it gives me time to fight the urge, rather than to hit the 'deposit' button and place the bet on the phone/computer all within 1 minute.

Maybe can I suggest to just self-exclude yourself from all gambling accounts you still have open?

All the best Jc, no matter what, you have my full support to overcome this.
    0 x
    Jc

Thu May 03, 2018 10:46 pm

chilaxis wrote:Jc, just sharing my experience and hope it can help. Before my last lapse, I thought I could just keep one last remaining gambling account (had all others closed and self-excluded) and be disciplined enough not to gamble. And I failed for the same reason that you've alluded to that it's so easy to just place a bet on the phone when the urge comes.

Since my last lapse, I decided to self-exclude even from the last one - and so far it's worked for me as it gives me time to fight the urge, rather than to hit the 'deposit' button and place the bet on the phone/computer all within 1 minute.

Maybe can I suggest to just self-exclude yourself from all gambling accounts you still have open?

All the best Jc, no matter what, you have my full support to overcome this.
    Thanks for the support. I have self excluded from many online accounts, although I believe I have around 4 of them open still. I do have deposit limits of $1 a day on them and I cant change it for 7 days. These gambling companies dont make it easy to self exclude. Some of them involve filling out a form and getting a witness to sign it. With so many people gambling in secrecy, sometimes getting a witness is a little difficult (they do that on purpose obviously). But yes, I will self exclude from all.
    0 x
    chilaxis

Thu May 03, 2018 11:08 pm

The last one I had open, William Hill, on its website also talked about the same thing, that you'd need to fill in a form and then a witness to sign on the form to do self-exclusion. I think it was one of the reasons I kept it open coz of the hassle.

But when I last relapsed, the hurt and fear of another relapse at that moment just made me wanted to self-exclude asap from William Hill. So I went to find their main support email and told them I wanted to self-exclude myself indefinitely from William Hill because I suspect myself developing a gambling addiction. Within a few hours, I got the email back that I've been self-excluded and they've closed my account indefinitely. With such speed, and without needing a form/witness, I suspect that they are legally-bound to close/exclude if a customer communicates to them in writing to self-exclude due to gambling addiction developing.

Good on ya for resolving to close all your remaining accounts. All the best JC, you can beat this.
    0 x
    Jc

Fri May 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Friday Night Gambling Free! Now I need to get through Saturday.
    0 x
    puggles

Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 am

Congrats Jc, keep yourself occupied today!
    0 x
    Under the rug

Sun May 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Your post hit close to home JC. It's unfortunate we are in this trap at such a young age. But we need to face the music, we are adults. I'm 24, also struggling to make ends meet because of this horrible habbit. I am going to do some serious reading on here tonight, hopefully it will motivate me to start the journey of recovery myself. Glad to chat.. any time
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”