My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby chilaxis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:19 am

Day-1. The hurt from the last relapse still lingers on as I wake up, big pain in the guts, the feeling of guilt. Need to move on, will not follow soccer scores, soccer news or matches again to prevent triggers - need to make this sacrifice for the sake of my family.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 pm

EFC1878 wrote:@ Mona

Ive been struggling with this for a while. Id begrudge buying a shirt for $30 but would keep depositing hundreds into a sportsbetting account. Now I learn with the money I save not gambling, you cant just let it pile up. Splurge on something you wouldnt normally buy. Its crazy, I never used to be like this. I’d get so upset losing $20 on a bet. Now its hundreds and even thousands. 😒

Yes, outside of betting, I can confirm that I am a person who saves and does not spend on any excesses. I only buy bare necessities. How ironic.

But when it comes to gambling, I largely see the possibility of the win and forget the possibility of the loss.

I told my psychologist that my propensity to do that is likely due to my personality being an optimist / idealist, PLUS my ego thinking that I can predict soccer results through my 20-years of experience watching soccer PLUS the fact that I experienced gambling wins before. So I do not naturally see sports betting as an extravagant expense but rather easy money.

Of course the reality of gambling - in theory and now from my personal experience - is: Easy money is the illusion, and extravagant expense is the reality.

Such a harsh life lesson these past 6 months have been, getting myself involved in gambling!! Hopefully now with the closing/self-exclusion of my last Gambling Account is the turning point where I will never lose a cent again to gambling. I know the urge will come again, but I'll battle on to rid this demon that has ensnared my life. When my kids grow up, I'll show my kids how evil gambling is by showing them this thread started by their dad - so to advice them never to start.

Back to focus on concentrating on work and family, and minimizing exposure to spectator sports. Onward and forward.
chilaxis

Postby JC » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:48 am

@ Mona

Ive been struggling with this for a while. Id begrudge buying a shirt for $30 but would keep depositing hundreds into a sportsbetting account. Now I learn with the money I save not gambling, you cant just let it pile up. Splurge on something you wouldnt normally buy. Its crazy, I never used to be like this. I’d get so upset losing $20 on a bet. Now its hundreds and even thousands. 😒
JC

Postby Mona58 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am

Funny how we gamblers are reluctant to spend $10 for a sandwich but happily give thousands for nothing but misery in the end.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby chilaxis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:01 am

Mona58 wrote:Oh Chilaxis!

Good that you are honest to yourself and know how easy it is to let your guard down.

There is an app. that bans all form of gambling sites to your phone and computer. I'm not overly familiar with it but do know that you have to pay for it. It is nowhere near the $2,500 you lost though. Maybe something you can investigate. I think gamb helpline will have more info on this.

Stay strong & keep fighting that pesky gamble demon!

Mona

Thanks for the advice Mona, I'll look into getting that app. Quite reluctant to spend more money this week as I've already lost $2500 today :(, but if it helps to lose even more, I'll give it a try.
chilaxis

Postby Mona58 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:38 am

Oh Chilaxis!

Good that you are honest to yourself and know how easy it is to let your guard down.

There is an app. that bans all form of gambling sites to your phone and computer. I'm not overly familiar with it but do know that you have to pay for it. It is nowhere near the $2,500 you lost though. Maybe something you can investigate. I think gamb helpline will have more info on this.

Stay strong & keep fighting that pesky gamble demon!

Mona
Mona58

Postby chilaxis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 am

I went to Day-11 without gambling, but cracked this morning for the Liverpool v. Roma game, feeling 'left out' as I did not place a bet over the last weekend and yet my predictions came to pass, I placed a $2500 bet this morning and lost.

Feeling sad and angry at myself for not being disciplined enough to stay away from gambling :( How can I keep doing this to my family?

I've written to William Hill to self-exclude myself indefinitely from their site. Should've done this sooner...

Now in the past I had self-excluded myself from UniBet, Bet365, Tab, etc. and then somehow found another provider to reopen an account when the urge comes. I am making a strong resolve this morning to not open any new betting accounts with any new providers.

Restarting again - from Day-0. I need to find a way to stay away from watching sports (livescore.com, live streaming of matches, sports news) or discussing sports with friends - unfortunately, it has become my gambling trigger. Otherwise, I need to find a way to deflect the urge once it is triggered.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 am

It was hard for me over the weekend, I tried to enjoy watching soccer games like in the past without gambling, but felt depressed after the games because all the results (Man Utd, Arsenal, Burnley, Chelsea, Man City) went as I expected and I didn't gamble.

Inside my mind this morning...

Risk-Junkie me: Just checked soccer results this morning - if results went the way you wanted to over the weekend, you would've made back $12,250. I told you so.

Rational me: If you'd won this, you would've wanted more - and then you'll lose more due to your uncontrollable urges. Didn't you try to stop before when you were on top twice? just to lose control because of your urge to gamble more? Gambling's like a drug mate. Quit now while you feel the pain. Concentrate on building your business and rebuild your wealth slowly. Your business is a win-win over the long run, not like gambling where there is always someone who loses. Do you love your wife and kids? Do you want to be remembered as a gambler by your children when you die? Don't gamble with your family.
chilaxis

Postby Mona58 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Well done Chilaxis! stay strong.
Mona58

Postby chilaxis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Weekend is on, and a lot of football matches on. I just had a major tussle between Rational me and Risk-Junkie me. Risk-junkie me was considering putting soccer bets tonight, but Rational me won out. I think Rational me is getting stronger every day I am GF. "Even if you win this time, you'll lose in the long run. Think of your family."

As it's past evening, i'm now on 9 days GF.

Cazza wrote:Well done on 7 days, stay strong and enjoy your family time. I have started noticing my moods aren't as up and down as the days go by to. Are you finding this to be the same? Stay strong 😊

Yes Cazza, still moody/agitated when soccer games are on and staying away from bets, but getting less and less so thankfully.
chilaxis

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge