Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    gzy3

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:14 am

Hi @chilaxis I am wondering how you are doing. Even if your challenge is currently paused or is not going well, that is okay - We can start at where we are again.
    2 x
    chilaxis

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Thank you for your concern gzy3.

I have indeed relapsed. Feeling so gutted that I couldn't control my impulse :( :( :(

1. I couldn't fight my impulse and re-opened my trading account.
    2. Traded. Started off slowly, 1 trade every 3 days - then at the end of it, 7 trades a day.
    3. Profited $26K in a little over two weeks, with various level of risks taken.
    4. One lapse of 'discipline' by trading too big a lot yesterday (8 lots) shorting the Dow, lost -$26,300 within a day.

I am truly at my wits end.

Nett outcome: In two weeks - lost a further -$300, plus 80 hours of time and energy which could have been better applied at work, business, family. All these trading while still holding onto a $65K debt. How stupid am I to keep thinking I could trade my way out of my debt :( :( :(

Need to refocus my priorities and start again. Any tips/advice will be appreciated.

Day 1 - Gambling Free
    0 x
    Jc

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Hey mate, you got this. Last year you went a long time without gambling. You just have to channel what you did last year into today...

Last year I was super motivated to quit and I did, until I relapsed in november...and that lasted until April...it was hard, I couldn’t get that motivation to quit back. Eventually I put my foot down and stopped - it’s a lot more difficult the second time round. Remember, never stop quitting, you might quit for 3 months, lapse, then quit for 6 months, lapse, then quit for years, lapse, then quit for life. It’s an ongoing battle but don’t stop quitting. Keep up the fight.

You got this.
    1 x
    chilaxis

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am

JC, thank you for your support.

I think I may have hit rock bottom yesterday.

On the way home from work on the train, again I was switching on my laptop to trade the market trying to get back the $4k+ that I lost the day before, and started scalping the market. It was like betting on the horses - there was no following of any trading plan, no money management, just a gut feeling that there's a support here and there's a resistance there, and away I went. Surely enough, by the time I reached home I lost another $4k. And like waking up from a trance, I realized that within a day I have thrown away my monthly salary that I've worked so hard for. On top of that, I realized I have taken out my children's money from their savings account, and also money from my wife's business working capital to continue with trading. Now with a $65k debt overhanging, and I will be struggling to make ends meet even this month for my family's expenses and my wife's business.

On the bed at night, I was feeling so painful in the gut. I talked to my wife about my pain and my addiction and it caused her to lose sleep and was checking everything online to see how she can help deal with my addiction.

I will remember today's pain as the key turning point in my life. No way am I going to allow this to continue. Trading for me is truly just as bad as sports betting. Every trade/bet has a negative expectancy - it's like throwing money, time and energy into a black hole and irrecoverable.

Hopefully I can be as successful as you to go on a run of abstinence from gambling/trading, JC. Hopefully it will be an indefinite run. One that I can tell my kids about one day that has changed our family's circumstances for the better.

Day-1 for real this time!!!! One day at a time >.<
    2 x
    How the F did I get here

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 am

Hey @chilaxis ,

How are you tracking?
    I'm back here after bring off a while.
    Have just been scrolling through threads and came across yours.
    A familiar name from my times on here before.
    I actually just reread your whole thread.
    I am gutted for you! You were absolutely smashing it. I'm so sorry to hear you have broke.

Just keep trying, just like Jc said, I have the same motto of never quit trying to quit.
    Doesn't matter how many times you slip, start again the next day.
    I fail almost daily at things I'm trying to conquer, but I go to bed every night with the intention to do better and try again the next day.

I know it's hard, as I do it myself ..... think just even one nice win would get me back a little bit which will help. Won't get me back far but will help.

65k credit debt, please get it out of your head you can rectify this with gambling. You will only Dig yourself deeper.

Perhaps go see a financial counselor, wesley mission have s free service for problem gamblers, you may be able to get it reduced and go on a payment plan.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
    I am truly saddened you lost your way after how awesome you were going.
    But it's never too late to fight the beast.
    GB pod luck.
    1 x
    chilaxis

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:14 pm

All I can say is I have well and truly lost my way. It has gotten worse since the last time I posted and I have hit rock bottom.

To the extent that my wife, my children, my in-laws, my extended family all know of my addiction now. Not only that, my wife is now suicidal.

The sadthing is while my disease was progressing, I saw counsellors, came to this forum, went to GA. Yet I kept going. Nothing was helping.

I'll probably be warded into the mental ward soon. I feel so sad for my young daughter and son.
    0 x
    Springhope17

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:10 am

So sorry to hear that you are still struggling it can be so hard!
    Just do whatever it takes to try and fight this additction.. it sounds like your family are still in ur life and that is a good thing. If you have to go to a mental health ward do it! It might help.. think of ur kids do whatever it takes! Instead of feeling shame think this may be the answer to turning things around.
    Dont allow urself any access to money at all!! You need access to money and time to gamble/ trade take away these things and you cant do it!
    Get it out of ur head that you can try to win back any of losses we all think we can feel that we have no way out except to bet but it just makes it worse.
    You can do this it takes alot of work but you can!! Wishing you strength right now!
    1 x
    Springhope17

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:36 pm

How are you going? Just checking in to see if you are okay?
    1 x
    gzy3

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi @chilaxis
    I can hear it has been very difficult in the past few months for you and your family.
    You have tried many strategies possible for your gambling concern meanwhile too.

How have you been for the past few days since your last post ?
    if you require immediate support, you can also reach out here:

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat
    Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling
    Samaritans: 135 247
    If in immediate danger: 000

Use this forum as your support as well so you so you can get out of this difficult time.
    Please take care chilaxis.

Hi @Springhope2020
    Thank you for your encouragement and support to chilaxis and other members.
    Your good words are always appreciated.
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:26 am

Hi @chilaxis

Just checking in to see how things are going for you ?
    2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”