Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • First post…starting the 100 day challenge

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: First post…starting the 100 day challenge

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 am

Hi @Padamb,
    Sorry to hear about the lapse, however, it's great you prevented a huge loss by having limited your access to cash.
    Are there other things you like doing that you could do instead to wind down after a stressful day at work?
    It's great to hear your determination, and you're already doing things differently by choosing not to chase the losses today.
    For payday next week, do you have any strategies or plans you can implement before hand?
    A weekend away sounds really nice, good on you! :);
    0 x
    Padamb

Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:10 pm

Yes I feel I’m definitely become more aware of my behaviour as usually after the weekend I’d be back gambling today either chasing my losses or if I’d had a win think my luck would continue. Sounds so ridiculous when I write here. So last week when I got paid I transferred it straight into an account I can’t easily access and I’m going to do the same again this week. The only time I ever use cash is when I’m gambling, so there’s really no reason have any cash to hand. I have a very short attention span and I’m always on the go. I’ve never been into watching movies, reading or anything that requires me to sit for any length of time…except the pokies! We’ve always enjoyed travelling but that’s off the cards at the moment. What I find strange is that I found it no effort at all to not gamble when everything was in lockdown and saved heaps but as soon as they reopened I was back again. 😬 I do really need to think about self exclusion but I feel such a sense of shame and I hate having to interact with people. I will give it one more shot and if I lapse again I will definitely go down the self exclusion route. Sorry for rambling. Hope everybody else is doing well.
    1 x
    Padamb

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Had some strong urges to gamble today but my partner helped me not succumb! I’m now tucked up
    in bed and feeling really happy and proud! 😀
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:21 am

Hi @Padamb,
    Kudos! It's so great to hear you're partner was so supportive.
    Did anything in particular trigger the urges? Aside from your partner's support, are there other strategies you could use next time the urges kick in?
    0 x
    Padamb

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Thank you @Lovely Cat Lady I think not having access to money is helping as except for my wobble last weekend I’ve been really good. Payday again this week so I’ll be sure to do what I did last time. Feeling pretty good about the week ahead! 😀
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:54 am

hey @Padamb how are you travelling at the moment?
    0 x
    Padamb

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:13 am

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I’m doing ok thanks. Getting urges from time to time but partner is being great and financially we’re in a far better position than a month ago. Payday again next week but bills to pay so they will be my priority this time. 👍
    2 x
    BrisbaneLad

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:59 pm

Great to hear your progress mate, even with the wee slip up. Well done - you got this.
    2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”