Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • an aunty wantng to help a nephew

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    auntielove

an aunty wantng to help a nephew

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am

I am close to my nephew and love him very much. His mother has recently described behaviours that lead me to believe that he's fallen back into a gambling problem. He works but does not seem to have any money. I am worried about who he is borrowing money from to support his gambling problem. He is not saying he is gambling again but I, and his siblings, strongly suspect that he is. I can't just standby and do nothing. What is the most helpful action I can take?
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: an aunty wantng to help a nephew

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Hello auntielove,

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on GH Online.
    Good on you for reaching out to the forums, I think you'd find theres many in your position with similar experiences.
    It can be difficult for someone in your position witnessing the destruction from someone elses gambling issue.
    Have you tried possibly having a discussion with him if you feel comfortable ?
    Otherwise you can hand him our Gambling Helpline contact number, we are a 24 hour counselling service and can be reached on 1800 858 858 or he can contact us via webchat. We also speak to many family members. On the helpline we can provide a referral for ongoing support with a gambling counsellor or financial counsellor as well. They can assist with self-exclusion which is when he can ban himself from venues/online gambling sites/apps.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    1 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”