Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Gambling affects more then you think

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    Richard6

Gambling affects more then you think

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:28 pm

If you are gambling you need cash to finance it.
    When I was gambling really heavily I used to apply for credit cards / personal loans to support my addiction.

I then later paid the money back that I owed then closed my account. I did not know that for each credit card or personal loan you apply for it puts an enquiry on your credit record.

My problem was I have too many enquiries so the reporting agencies then believe that I am having finance difficulties so they drop your credit rating.

My credit rating has dropped to the bottom 20 % due to my gambling addiction. I do not have any accounts that I have to pay money back for. The banks will never lend you money if you have a low score.

Guess I just have to sit tight and do not request for credit again for at least a few years.
    Just thought I would let you know the risks involved with gambling and credit.

It will cause dramas for when you really need credit ie wanting to buy property.
    I've been advised that I would only be approved for high interest rate loans as you are considered high risk.
    0 x
    SusanM

Re: Gambling affects more then you think

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi Richard 6,

It's a good point you make. There are many negative consequences from problem gambling that don't become obvious until we stop and take a clear, objective look at how the addiction is impacting our life. Sometimes it takes a caring friend or counsellor to point out some of the impacts we can't see.

One of the biggest impacts that people talk about is the loss of trust in close relationships due to secretive behaviour and big losses of money. You really are gambling with your future.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom - much appreciated.

Best wishes,
    Susan
    0 x
    Richard6

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:44 pm

I am so disappointed with my gambling habits.
    This time I really do feel there is no way out of the mess.

I've tried so many times to stop but I can never do it..
    Each time I gamble in large amounts between $1000 - $2000 thinking my sports bet has no chance of losing.

Of course I end up losing then have to face the music each time. There is only so much that you can handle but this time it has gone way over the handling zone.

Think for all of these years I have just been scammed thousands of dollars with winnings but those have been all returned.
    The reason why I had been gambling in large amounts is because I wanted to get out of any family conflict...

Now I am in deep trouble as my statements will come from the stock exchange saying I sold stocks etc with nothing to show for it ):
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi Richard6,
    It's been a while since I've posted and wanted to check-in. In your most recent email you sounded pretty flat. I was concerned about your comment about feeling like you're gone way over the handling zone. I imagine there would be people here that would be able to relate to your words. Am wondering how others have managed to get through these challenging times when it can feel like there is no place to turn....

I also wanted to encourage you, if it is feeling too much to handle to call the Helpline on 1800 858 858 24/7 as the counsellors there can offer immediate support and advice. I have also sent you a private message.

Hang in there Richard6
    0 x
    Richard6

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks Anna for your message.
    I'll make sure I keep those contacts for next time.

Last Friday I was feeling really down and upset. I even looked at the bridge for quite a long time then thought that If I was still alive after jumping the situation would be much worse.

One of the gambling counselors who works at St Vincents hospital said that there has been a lot of unsucessful suicide attempts. You could end up in the ICU fighting for life or in a wheelchair for your rest of your life.

I decided that I did not want that so I had one last punt worth $4000 and then collected back all that I had lost. If I lost that amount last Friday I do not think I would be alive typing this message.

Now of course I am on top of the world have cleared out the TAB of cash today and am stopping as last Friday was a major wake up call.

So sickening lining up at the bank and asking for $4000 is 100 notes and having to lie about why I needed that money.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Hey Richard6,
    Glad you're staying connected here. Sounds like last Friday was an incredibly difficult day for you and has helped clarify what you want to do about the gambling. Am wondering, you said it was a major wake up call on one level and that you've gambled today (?) for the last time. Can I ask what your plan of attack is in case strong suicidal thoughts are triggered again? For example, do you see a counsellor regularly at St Vincents? I wasn't clear in your last post if you had spoken to them specifically about wanting to jump off the bridge? Sometimes it can be helpful to discuss a safety plan should strong thoughts around suicide happen again as a way of keeping you safe you may have already done this with the St Vincents counsellor...
    Stay in touch :)
    0 x
    Richard6

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 am

Was just really a major wake up call as I do not want to feel those feelings again.
    I do see the counselor at St Vincents quite regularly and is aware that I do have suicidal thoughts.

When in times of need I have government sevices / family and friends that can help me out.
    Last Friday I was very close to calling the ambulance / police to help me out but managed to get away from the ledge. As your brain says go for it but then I thought about what would happen if I was not successful.
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

Hi Richard,
    Anna's away this week but just wanted to say that it's amazing that even in dark times you can stay connected with the support you need to keep yourself safe in those moments.
    Keep in touch!
    Noah
    0 x
    Richard6

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Yes it is amazing but it helps writing about what is going on.
    I was just chasing money cause I wanted to hide the amount of money wasted on gambling from my parents as I am kinda on my last chance.

I'm disabled and could not imagine what it would be like if I was kicked out of home as I would not be able to look after myself...
    Do not understand why I gamble as the odds are stacked way against me. Each time I just come home miserable and angery at myself...

I'm just waiting for my health insurance to be upgraded then I can go to South Pacific Private to be in their rehab program.
    Just need 3 weeks time out to work on my problem and be in a place where there is no mobile phones or anything to distract you.

Looked on the Internet did not really like the look of the place but if many people have be treated there for addictions and have been successful I might as well go there.
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Hey Richard,
    Be interested to hear how you find the rehab once you've done it!
    Take care of yourself,
    Noah
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”