Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Need to stop

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Drew

Need to stop

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Hey there people I'm 30 been punting for over 10 yrs and really want to stop, I'm not at rock bottom and am financially fine. But I just don't like the fact I lose hundreds of $$$ each week. I talk my self out of it for a week and then go blow hundreds in 5 minutes. I love would have blown 10k this year. I just don't want to be that person anymore
    0 x
    Jerry (facilitator)

Re: Need to stop

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Drew,

It's great that you have started to look for some help before it has done too much damage to your finances. I think that for many people the day that they reach out for help is the day that their relationship to gambling changes.

There are probably a few different things you can do to get some control of your gambling. One would be to start some regular gambling counselling. You can easily organise some free counselling by calling Gamblers helpline (1800 858 858), they can direct you to your nearest service. They can also talk to you about other options such as the self-exclusion program, or Gamblers Anonymous. Different things work for different people.

I am glad to hear that you have started on the road to change. Let us all know how your journey goes.
    0 x
    Shirley (facilitator)

Re: Need to stop

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Drew, why don't you give the Gamblers helpline a call 1800858858 and have a chat to them about options for making the change? It sounds like this has taken too much money from you already so why not decide to make that the final dollar you give to gambling? Rock bottom isn't necessary to make a change. Often it happens when the consequences outweigh the benefits of gambling, Think about why you gamble and the benefits it brings versus the negative outcomes. Most people find it affects more than just their hip pocket. Anyway well done for joining the forum and keep us posted on your progress.
    best wishes,

Shirley GH
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”