" "

Payday blues...

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Payday blues...

Postby How the F did I get here » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Past the 8 month mark. That is sensational Mona! Can only imagine how proud you are.
Thanks for all the hope you give to others not as far in as you.

Something definitely need to remind myself that yes there are crappy days, but as you say those days pass.

Keep up the fight, X
How the F did I get here

Postby Mona58 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 am

Thank you Cazza and Tara,

Weekend was good. Had lunch with friends saturday and sunday was a lazy day knitting tea cosy and watching TV!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby BrittV (facilitator) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 am

Well done Mona58, so glad to hear you're doing well :)
Always nice to hear how you're going, as well as see all the support you give to others.

I'm wondering if you chose a class to start up with your time? I think it's a great idea, would love to hear what you came up with?

BrittV
BrittV (facilitator)

Postby Mona58 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks Brit!

l had gone back to Uni. On semester break now. Was a difficult 1st semester and taken me a couple weeks to wind down! Having a pjama day today!
Mona58

Postby JinxyWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:03 am

Hey Mona,

Congrats on hitting 8 months, that's awesome :cool: :cool: :cool:

Who doesn't love a pjama day :p , relax and enjoy.

Keep up the good work

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Mona58 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Had a complicated few weeks .. with study stress, trying to quit smoking, seeing psychologist, and trying to wind down to holiday mode and fighting negative thoughts,. l got to the point I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me . I was fed up with me, if that makes sense-.-I knew what was going out but it was just so strange ... I push on and push on... Then two days ago l went shopping .. I rarely take that route since l stopped gambling. I want to say that I don't know why l took that route. .-but the truth is I did know I was at risk and I knew I would end up in the D-den even though I kept telling myself I will try ignore it... did my shopping ... Walked out and walked pass the D-den but-. then turned back went in... put $20 in machine... it is so hard to put in words... pressed button a few times ..-got up went to toilet to wipe up tears and get my breath back... went back to machine took reserve off and walked out! !!... my body felt twice its weight! I could not take it anymore... brought pkt smokes went and sat in park ... for a long while...

WHY did I do this... l kind off wanted this strange not nice feelings I was having to go away. I couldn't' sort of understand it even though I knew why it was happening.... I'm going to have to work out a new plan to quit smoking and been reading the Quit program online... the gums alone don't work for me...

I'm very disappointed ...but l guess it was an experience I had to have It's made me realise how much stronger I really am.

One of the things that kept playing in my mind over those few weeks before had been the fact that l have money saved... and it was making me nervous. Enjoying this new life and emotions gamble free after so many years does have it's weird moments...

Mona ... on day 2
(after lapse 4 days shy of 9 months .-268 days.. gawd I'm going to have to white out the numbers on my Calendar ... damn you gamble demon! )
Mona58

Postby JinxyWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Hey Mona,

Don't beat yourself up too much, you had the courage to walk out after $20 instead of letting it turn into a binge. That takes real strength and I'm proud of you. All too easily this could have turned into a spiral but you stopped it, dead in it's tracks. Like you said, you are so much stronger now. One slip in 8 months, that's nothing to be ashamed of, it' just a little stumble that's all. All the work you have done in the last 8 months is a credit to you and how much you want this demon out of your life for good so keep it up.

It's had when you start to get savings, I found that it made me nervous as well. I finally had extra money, after all these years, and it was just sitting there in my bank account, staring at me. I was so worried I was going to blow it on a binge, but I found that having financial goals really helped me see that money as more than just something I could gamble with. First it was art supplies, then a nintendo switch ( so worth it) then a graphics tablet, new golf clubs and before I knew it I had the keys to a brand new car. I finally had something to show for all my had work, I could use my switch or tablet, drive my new car, I had proof that I had spent that money well, instead of just a memory of throwing that money down a bottomless pit and having nothing but regrets and guilt to show for it.

So dig those heels in Mona and know that we are always here to pick you up and give you a helping hand when you need it.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Cazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Oh Mona, sorry to hear. I have been worried about you as you had sounded so sad in your last few posts.
Am glad you are back posting , but as Jinxy said it has been a tiny slip in 8 months. I know you would be offering lots of support for others around you in the same position hopefully others on the forum will show you theirs.
I wonder how much of your mixed feelings also came from giving up smoking too. I had patches for the 1st couple of weeks and then started taking vitamins to even out my mood swings .

Would maybe setting a goal of like a holiday get your mind thinking not so much as extra cash in the bank but your holiday fund help?
Sending you much strength Mona 😊
Cazza

Postby Mona58 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks Jinky & Cazza,

I have been quiet the past few weeks... this itself is something new. It takes getting used to the pleasure being gamble free brings . l don't particular "worry" about issues (things I can't control ) as much as I used to and this seems to "empty" parts of life, just like gambling has left that void which I've filled with more pleasurable activities and these feel nice ...

I thought I was settled & strong enough to attempt the quit smoking now. l have been taking multi-vitamins, fish oil and gingko AND l've been eating much healthier. I can't believe how much of an impact smoking has on mental & physical well being until you try remove the disgusting things! ... There is something l will try next week... the patches With lozenges' as I have been reading Quit online and will install register for daily txt support etc.

Have to constantly remind myself that l CAN'T change the issues I'm faced with BUT l CAN change how much I allow it to control ME... Easier said than done . BUT Once done becomes easier.. Can only keep encouraging myself.

I am really grateful for the support I get from the this forum ..

Mona
Mona58

Postby Catherine1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm

You are such an inspiration to us all on this site. You may have had a slight slip up recently, but thinks off all the days where you didn't slip up. And you were strong enough to realise what the hell am I doing and turn around and get out with only $20 wasted. Just remember if it was the good old days, you would have been feeding the $50 notes in and then getting more money out the ATM. I certainly don't miss doing this.
I am commencing Week 4 tomorrow. Keep on going. You are doing well.
Catherine1

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard