" "

verses

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

verses

Postby Anna1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 am

I still compose little rhymes and prose in my head. after so many years of walking home having missed the last tram/train and reflecting on my gambling - making up verses as I walked, it's still happening, even though I'm 43 days abstinent. I'm sure I can't be the only one that reflects on what 'luck' is about...

I used to ask people at venues (in the smoking lounge, because that's the only place where people actually talked)

One chap answered that 'luck is an incalculable factor'.

I've been musing on the difference between luck and fortitude.

Is there anyone out there that can add to these few lines, whether just by comment or by verse?

Can luck be measured by human potential

To increase or decrease our chances

Can luck be multiplied by life experience

To change our circumstances

What does luck mean to others?

I'd like to tell of another persons' version: This particular chap was a homeless guy - a most responsible squatter - he would leave a note every morning when he left his squat to say that if there was any problem with his being there to reply so on the note and he would move himself along. Spotless too, he was. Sometimes I would visit him in Prahran at the time when I'd have a couple of hours left to wait for the first train; no matter that he was homeless, he would get his aching body of the floor, make his bed and take me for a walk to buy me a coffee!! He was also quite deaf, hence this is what he shouted when I asked him what luck meant to him: 'Love, I'd walked past this TAB ticket on the footpath for more than two weeks, never picked it up; then one day I decided I would pick it up, took it in to the TAB and it had $75 on it! That's luck! Then there was the envelope that I'd walked past for a couple of weeks, it had been rained on, covered in mud and blown around by winds; when I finally decided to pick it up, it was a bithday card with $50 dollars in it. I couldn't return it to anyone, cause it had no name or address on it, which was a shame - but that was luck, I reckon. As he finished telling me, walking through prahran, he bent down and picked up a very distinctive silver ring, some sort of emblem on it; someone will probably be looking for this, love, I'll hand it in to the cops this morning! he shouted.

Nice stories, eh? I think this chap 'deserved' to be lucky. By the way, he was saving to adopt a staffy, which he finally did, and opened a bank account for as soon as the dog came to him. $10 a week went into this dogs' account from then on. Lucky dog, eh?

Anna1

RE: verses

Postby Linda2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Oh Anna

You made me cry, luck for me is just to see the sun rise a lot of the prople I love no longer do!

I was loved deeply by my Mum and Step Dad and my Dad is still looking out for me & narturing me everyday at the tender age of 53

I need to build my self esteem and to start like my self again, I did so many wrong things & crossed so many boundaries I lost my self respect.

Your homeless man hasn't & I suppose that's the next step to forgive myself for stealing, lieing etc Not quite there yet, maybe someday!

Thank you & will try & add to your poem, you have a wonderful way with words that's a gift.

Linda
Linda2

Postby Anna1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Thank you, Linda.
Anna1

Postby doug » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi

Luck doesn't mean alot to me. Its more about somethings got to happen one way or another regardless.

As far as the gambling part it.

I don't consider it luck that i feel better,have less stress, more money. Others and myself are putting up a hard fight with effort and having fairly good results of keeping gambling somewhat under control and making our lives better.

Of course there are other kinds of luck, but i don't wait for luck to make me rich, get younger, grow back more hair.

lol...
Doug who's the good dog?
doug

Postby Anna1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Oh Doug!I hope I live another thirty years! I want to know what my eighty year old sense of humour would be like1
The people I've met of that age who are lucky enough not to be in too much physical pain, and who have managed to keep a sense of humor, are just 'superb' comics!xxx
Anna1

Postby Angelina. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Dear everyone,

Wow... I would be lying if I claimed that I didn't have a similar conversation with myself from time to time. Fantastic work Anna/All.

Some have tried to define 'luck', albeit not that well except for maybe Jung. Does anyone remember 'The Secret'? Anyway, for those of you who haven't heard of it, I've 'Wikipedia'd' it below...

(check grammar...Anna might be reading hehe :P )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(book)

Would love to hear your thoughts

Warm regards,

Angelina
Angelina.

Postby Angelina. » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 am

Sorry, link is inactive, and doesn't seem to want to work. You find it by putting 'the secret' into Wikipedia.
Angelina.

Postby Anna1 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:45 am

Angelina,Tell me what I can do about this issue, if you can: I have this big aversion to anything written with even the slightest self-help style about it. How stoopid of me, but I think I'm too smart for it and don't bother reading it. Which means I miss out on just about everything, because the complex thereoretical stuff that I 'snatch' up is too darned complex for me and I end up knowing nothing very well, just a little bit about a lot of different things. Eg;, did not bother to read any prenatal material - hence wasn't aware that there were three stages of labour, and spent most of 31 hours arguing with staff, screeching at them towards the end, accusing them of being heartless for not believing me that I was DDDying!
A few years ago, an old (and old - 72 this year)very well read friend of mine asked me had I read "games that people play"; I told him 'no, I cast it aside cause I thought I was too smart for it': HOHOHAHAHAHOHOHO he laughed, and He just couldn't stop. Grrr!
Same with the secret. I remember a girlfriend pressing me to get into it - wouldn't have a bar of it.
But after your post it got worse: I looked up Jung, found bits about synchronicity, and found Paul Kammerer, founder of the seriality theory,which I think meant synchronicity over a long time span?, the lackmarckian biologist and that used toads? and whose research was tampered with by the nazies( oha! Muss Ich mich schnell verstecken!) So I got lost. I just wish I knew how to read.Simply written stuff. I'd like to read 'soul without shame' which Bri suggested, but havn't for the same reason. I'm a very ill-disciplined reader.
I'm upsetting myself here - don't know if it's cause I've just had too much plunger coffee, or the subject.Or my erratic punctuation. But it's true, I just don't seem to be able to slow my brain down enough to take in the simple things that are so important!
Anna1

Postby doug » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 pm

hi Angelina.

i remember one thing from the secret, that comes to mind often.

it was along the line of not worrying about everything bad in life happening to you.

most of it will never happen.

which is not a new idea..but a good reminder.

:discuss:
Doug who's the good dog?
doug

Postby doug » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Anna

as far as the self help stuff goes.

alot of books and stuff have been written covering everything.

but its not like the typical person like me would not think of most of the same ideas presented in the written material.

someone else may of written it..but i think most everyone has the insight in them,

some just havent needed or wanted to dig for it,

its true some do research, testing, and whatever else and may come across as being a expert in the field

and good on them, others will benefit without having to do all the digging and work themselves

i take advantage of what i think i need, i guess its a lazy shortcut on my part.

its like a time saver ..ok now i ramble...

i ramble so others don't have to ramble...lol
Doug who's the good dog?
doug

Next

Return to The Courtyard