" "

Why we Gamble....to Escape

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Why we Gamble....to Escape

Postby JinxyWolf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi All,

I've been reading some posts lately that got me thinking about all the reasons we gamble. What draws us back to such a destructive behaviour? and why is it so hard to stop.

It's not always just about trying to fix financial issues, deal with stress or fighting off loneliness. A big reason why is gambling in to simply escape. Escape the pressure of everyday life, escape our emotions, whether that be grief, guilt, shame, anger, sadness or anything else we may be feeling. Much like alcoholics or drug addicts we gamble to escape.

I know for me when ever I felt like the world was crushing me and things were getting to be too much I retreated to gambling. Sitting in front of the machine, staring mindlessly into the abyss, all my troubles just faded away. I didn't have to think about what was going on in my life, I could just forget. It wasn't until I found other ways to deal with my emotions and stresses in my life that I really felt like I began to make progress. Drawing for example, when ever I pick up a pencil and begin a sketch, the world just fades away, I can focus on what I'm doing and my brain goes quiet. Talking to family, friends, we all need that one person we can confide in when things get rough, bottling up our emotions and our fears is not dealing with them, eventually they will come to the surface and left unresolved the consequences can be costly.

Admitting that we can't always handle life and that sometimes we need help doesn't mean that we are weak, we all need help once and while, and it takes real courage to ask for it.

So to all the courageous people on this forum, be well and keep fighting.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Re: Why we Gamble....to Escape

Postby Mona58 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Well said Jinky,
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby suz-free » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Jinxy,
thank you for sharing this advice & feelings - It's so good to know. I've read many of your posts over the months & your support here to us all is just what we need, it gives me courage & hope that I can keep fighting my urges to stop. I'm always questioning, what are my triggers & why do I give in to my urges. My broken relationships in my past crushed me enough to start my on going battle. Today I'm in a happy engaged relationship but in fear that I could damage this relationship if I don't quit my urges of going to pokies. The damages of my past have caused an addiction that's been hard to beat but I sure want to. I will see my councellor in a couple of weeks as am away on holidays this week, and i'm interested in joining a gamblers support group in person as well as here online. Thanks for your support again my friend Jinxy 😊
suz-free

Postby JinxyWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi Guys,

Sitting on the couch jut chillin' and came across this thread from a while ago and thought I'd give it a bit of a bump up the list to get some of your thoughts on this issue.

What are you escaping from when you gamble?

Curious to know if they are similar to mine.

Thanks
JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby suz-free » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Jinxy,
mine is anxiety symptoms, I've had it for years and don't deal with it well when it sneaks on me. I would go to pokies to zone out and not think of things, I saw it as a way out of my anxious mind. Now I'm doing the 100 day challenge (day 24). I was feeling pretty good up until the weekend, for some reason my anxieties were creeping in. I don't have an urge to go there today but I'm wishing my troubled mind would stop playing up to make me think that's what I need because it's not, I know that. I'm hoping this challenge will teach me on my managing skills of what else I can do instead of using pokies as an escape route. Thank you for posting about this subject, I really believe that most of us that have gone there saw it as a way out of the real world and it's good to make changes and recognise what's actually going on in our life and how we can better ourselves from that damaging place
suz-free

Postby Mark1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi Jinxy, thanks for your post. I have definitely been an 'escape' gambler. When I have been in action, like you, all my troubles seem to fade away. Trouble is that fantasy world doesn't last for long and once over the pain is always magnified by more loss of money, self respect and self control. Enough of that!!! Life isn't meant to be lived that way. Better to face things head on and have an expectancy of good things to come. All the best!

Mark
Mark1

Return to The Courtyard