" "

6 Months of Freedom and Life is Good...

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

6 Months of Freedom and Life is Good...

Postby JinxyWolf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to start a new topic in my journey toward becoming gamble free in hopes that it will help others who are struggling with this addiction.

When I first started my journey the thought of even going one day without gambling seemed impossible and now here I am 6 months later and I wonder how I ever found the time. It has been a journey of many ups and downs, resisting urges, temptations and finally facing myself. Who I am, my fears and all the reasons I was hiding myself away by gambling. I have learnt so much, I'm now able to look at myself in the mirror and not be ashamed of the person looking back.

I still have my moments but they are few and far between. When they come I remind myself why I quit and how crappy my life was, a far cry from the happy and positive person I am today. I have rediscovered old passions in the form of my sketching, drawing and discovered new ones like pyrography (wood burning). And of course the biggest motivation of all is my bank balance. I actually have savings, actual savings, I haven't had savings in about a decade, it's a great feeling. The financial freedom I have developed in the last few months is a great motivator to keep going.

So to all those out there who are struggling with this addiction, it can be done, it is possible and this addiction doesn't have to define you or control your future. This forum is a godsend and one of the main reasons I have come this far, the support from all those here and also my email councellor has been invaluable.

I wish everyone the best, stay strong, and live life.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Re: 6 Months of Freedom and Life is Good...

Postby David2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Congrats JinxyWolf that is some effort. I have managed to turn things around this year too after a 10+ year long addiction. I still have ALOT of work to do on myself but I no longer feel pulled in by the pokie machines. Not only are the urges few and far between I've even been having gambling dreams where I lose money. It's like my subconscious is reminding me to keep gambling out of my life which is a refreshing change from the constant tricks the gambling mind plays on you.
David2

Postby debsta70 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi Jinxy wolf
Loved reading your progress, 6 months is amazing
I am only new to the site and it seemed like relapses were normal from most members which has scared me.
I was an addicted gambler for 25 years and today is Day 13 pokie free.
I feel really strong and THERE WILL BE NO RELAPSE
debsta70

Postby Pea pod » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Very inspiring Jinxywolf and congratulationsz Sounds like your life is going really well. Day 15 for myself and it feels great. I pray the relapse doesn't get me this time.
Pea pod

Postby JinxyWolf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks David. Yes it's amazing the effect some distance from gambling can have on your attitude. Congrats on your progress, it's great to see so many success stories coming from this forum. Keep up the good work.

Hi Debsta70 and Peapod,

Day 13 and 15 respectively that's great. Yes, lapses can be part of this journey but try not to fear them. If it happens, it's not the end of the world. Although I have not lapsed this time, it's not the first time I have tried to quit. Previous attempts to quit had resulted in many many lapses. My last attempt 8 years ago actually resulted in a total relapse. I just stopped trying to quit and refused to acknowledge the fact I had a problem. It wasn't until I was ready to say "I have a gambling problem" that things really started to change. I found this forum, got in touch with a councellor, told my folks about my problem and that was how I started my journey. Sure, I've had urges, temptations, felt like the world was going to swallow me whole, but I took on each challenge a they arose and tried not to look to far ahead. Focus on the here and now, don't worry about what may happen, focus on what is happening. If you feel like you may laspe, take a breath and think, give yourself a chance to think, think about why you want to gamble, what the consequences will be if you do give into that temptation. Time is your friend, use it. Any distance you can put between the urge to gamble and the act of gambling will help strengthen you resistance to the urges.

I wish you all, the best on you journey's. Be Well..
JinxyWolf

Postby pamela » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:11 am

Hi Jinxywolf ..well done.its amazing how your life can change so much in 6 months.all the struggles are worth it .life takes on a different meaning when you are gamble free..keep moving forward with your head held high
Pam
pamela

Postby Miette (facilitator) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Jinxywolf,

Thank you for sharing your journey. It is so inspiring, and offers hope to the many that would read your post.
Well done on the amazing changes you have made. It is really great to hear you reflecting on what this means for your life, and to hear your positivity and strength.

Also - great advice around lapse / relapse.

Kind regards,
Miette :)
Miette (facilitator)

Postby jimi68 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 am

hi jinxywolf,
you definitely inspire me
I think ahead to when I get to 6 months like you.
You have done it......
so can we....
I sense there is a crossover time for us when we go from
"'its hard....... I don't know if I can do it.."'
to
"'I can do it!!!!!"'
That attitude crossover might happen at different times for different people..
but oh what a joy to be there!!!!
I don't ever want to go back.
jimi68

Postby JinxyWolf » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks Jim and Pamela for your posts.

Jim, you right there is definitely that time when you reach that "I can do this" realization. I think it took me a good 3 months before I really thought, "Yes, I can do this, this is really possible" up to that point I wasn't really sure that I was truly committed to this journey. In the past I always thought I would have this light bulb moment and it would finally hit me that I needed to change. But that didn't happen, it's not how my journey started at all. I'm still not quite sure how this journey started, I was sitting at home, having just spent my paycheck, looking at my bank balance, I had $250 to my name and I was surfing the web and I ended up on this forum. I'd know for a while that I had a gambling problem but something happened that night, I decided to join this forum not even sure if it was what I really wanted, if I could even commit to the journey, and as the days and weeks went by I found myself constantly doubting my commitment. Then, ever so subtly, this changed, I knew that I was committed, there was no doubt, all the ups and downs, all the trials and barriers I had broken through were proof of this commitment.

It is a wonderful feeling to know that it's all worth it.

Keep up the good work Jim.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby pamela » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 am

Hi Jinxywolf.. you're absolutely right once you reach that I can do it moment everything becomes a lot clearer and a lot easier. It's really good to read your post from start to now and realise just how far you have come. You've done a great job and you should be really proud
pamela

Next

Return to The Courtyard