" "

My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby chilaxis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am

Keeping vigilant. Real test coming up with the World Cup looming. I'm going to be a winner by not gambling - one day at a time, defeating those urges (and pesky dreams of past winnings). Not gonna let any gambling website take any more money from me.

My children asked me last evening which vices should they avoid when they grow up - I told them: drugs, excessive alcohol, smoking, and with absolute conviction: gambling.

47 days GF.

Happy long weekend everybody.
chilaxis

Postby Cazza » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Well done on 47 days Chilax 😊
Cazza

Postby Jc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 am

Well done! World Cup is going to be a huge task to get through but Im cautiously optimistic about it. Theres going to be a flood of betting ads, so Im going to minimise the amount of tv time as possible - watching the game only and nothing else. Stay strong.
Jc

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm

chilaxis wrote:Keeping vigilant. Real test coming up with the World Cup looming. I'm going to be a winner by not gambling - one day at a time, defeating those urges (and pesky dreams of past winnings). Not gonna let any gambling website take any more money from me.

My children asked me last evening which vices should they avoid when they grow up - I told them: drugs, excessive alcohol, smoking, and with absolute conviction: gambling.

47 days GF.

Happy long weekend everybody.

Hi Chilaxis,

I'm Calvin one of the forum moderators here on gamblers help online.
47 days GF is a tremendous effort! As challenging as it may feel at times its great that you have mentally prepared yourself for the world cup and its also good that you have sent a strong message to your children. Your determination has built up significantly.
Well done to you and keep up the great work.

Calvin.
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby BrittV (facilitator) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 am

Hey chilaxis and JC, I hear you about the world cup!
I've just put a post up here about some tools you might find helpful during this time... you might be particularly interested in the blocking possibilities of gambling ads or certain websites.

Hope this helps :)

BrittV
BrittV (facilitator)

Postby chilaxis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 am

51 Day GF and super proud I'm watching the first match of World Cup (Russia v Saudi Arabia) without placing a bet. I know at the end of the game, I will not lose whatever savings I have for my family - what a wonderful feeling.

I just hate that SBS's telecast started with the TAB ad talking about all sorts of odds. No matter how many gambling filter we put on our PC, we'll not be able to avoid that bullet. I really must lobby for Australian public TV to be rid of all gambling ads - just like how smoking ads were allowed in the past but now banned.

Anyway, I digress. Am so happy to have been able to overcome all these past few week's urges and start off watching World Cup without gambling.

One day at a time!
chilaxis

Postby Jc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 am

I feel your pain with World Cup betting ads. My only strategy is to tune into the game only. If it starts 1 am, I will tune in at exactly 1 am. At half time I’ll turn the tv off until the second half starts. And no post game shows either.

All the best!
Jc

Postby chilaxis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 am

That is a brilliant idea JC!! Now that I think about it, gambling odds are never mentioned by sports commentators. I'll give that a try. It will just be the pure sporting experience, and not the fluff around it. Thanks!
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for your support too Cazza, BrittV and Calvin!
chilaxis

Postby Dockers6 (facilitator) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 pm

This is great everyone, such a supportive vibe :)
Dockers6 (facilitator)

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge