" "

My 100 Challenge

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: My 100 Challenge

Postby DFP » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 am

Hi there
I agree with Mona that you can only really control your reaction, stay strong yourself and take care of yourself. For the coming weekend, can you:
- make it clear that you yourself will not be playing the pokies (don't try to stop or control others - that's their choice - but make it clear that your choice is to not play them at all. Make this known to everyone upfront in an unemotional way that doesn't accuse others that do play as being silly.
- limit the amount of cash you can access, as not having access helps to control temptation.
- I don't know if you drink alcohol. I find that my self control is much weaker after a few drinks, so I would limit the amount I drink when near / at a venue.

Stay strong. You can do this. Is there something you can buy yourself if you do get through the weekend - a reward using the money you would otherwise have wasted? This could be a motivator too.

DFP
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby Peace&Harmony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:51 pm

All wonderful advice! Thank you

I am feeling very confident about my time in Melbourne.

Just get annoyed when you get pictures from family members of them going to the venues, winning on machines and then them telling you that they put only $20 in.

I have received four screen shots of them winning various things on Lightning Link.

Those machines are nasty!!!

Anyhow flying out tonight and will be interesting to see how much they badger me to go and gamble. I WON'T BE GOING!
Peace&Harmony

Postby Joy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi P&H

Enjoy Melbourne and the family catch up. I know it will be hard and I have my fingers crossed for you. You are strong enough to stay off them. You wouldn't be coming to the forum if that wasn't what you really wanted. All the best. Joy
Joy

Postby Peace&Harmony » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:00 pm

So I just came back from dinner tonight and it had to of course be at the pub :(

I went into the gaming lounge, however for the first time I did not immediately just rip out notes. I had some coins and began to play only to stop myself and walk out.

I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE! WALKED OUT OF A VENUE WITH MONEY IN MY WALLET!

I feel annoyed that I played 3 cycles however I am so proud of not allowing the family norm to be my norm. They called me antisocial etc and I just said it was not for me anymore. EVEN THOUGH I WANTED TO KEEP PLAYING FOR A MOMENT, I realised that my future is worth so much more,

Relieved, a little annoyed, however I am showing signs of healing on the journey being GF now 10 days
Peace&Harmony

Postby DFP » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:32 am

Hi there
You did well to stop and just walk out. If you had continued playing for just a few more spins, the gambling demon would have probably sucked you fully back in and you'd be posting now that you'd lost hundreds and be back to day 1. Many times in the past I have had 'one spin, where's the harm' and then lost big.
So stay strong. Also make sure if you are back at a venue today with your family that you do not have access to a lot of cash, and no ATM. Just take enough money for a meal and drinks. That way, if you do get tempted again, you won't do much damage.
All the best,
DFP
DFP

Postby Mona58 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:58 am

Well done for standing your ground. You have proven to yourself just how much Power you have wrested back from the gamble demon. Keep fighting!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Peace&Harmony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:47 pm

I managed to survive Melbourne without GAMBLING!!!

So coming up to nearly 2 weeks GF and feeling great. Have money in all accounts, paid all my bills and feel in control back home now.

It was quite the rollercoaster with the family, who happily gambled everyday and did it socially when we went out. I only had that issue on Thrusday night but otherwise it was all clean and fine and had no issue at all.

Feel empowered to move into that next phase of the journey. A long way to go.

No real significant urges either.

Relieved.
Peace&Harmony

Postby Mona58 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 pm

YIPPEE!! more power to you! Well done!

Keep up that determination... remember one day at a time!

Urges pop up out of nowhere! I remember my first strong urge and then thought l'm over them ... but bang got hit by another strong urge on day 71. Always be on your guard. You will work out What triggers cause your urges and fight them off! Some urges you can flick off but some you need more fighting power! That's why they say "surf the urge" ...waves are not all the same size!

Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby DFP » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Congratulations!! Fantastic achievement. You should reward yourself using some of the money you saved - just a small treat. Keep going, and as Mona said, always keep your guard up. Congrats again!
DFP

Postby Peace&Harmony » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:30 pm

I am still GF and today marks day number 30 since my last bet.

I have urges and have had moods.

The moods have been most interesting and unexpected. I have felt irritable for no odd reason. I have been short with people and not myself. I have had waves of depression and anxiety, but I have not been tempted to go back and push those buttons or buy lotto etc.

I have seen a lot of venues, and seen the machines and have been tempted but can tell you the despair that I feel when I walk out of those places, is just enough to turn me right off.

The journey is still tricky and I feel very overwhelmed at times about how much money I have lost, however I have realized that I can't do anything about that, no use in living in the pit of depression, does nothing to fix anything, so I am moving forward.

I have still a road of paying down debts, but thankful I have not lost my house, thankful that I have not lost my relationships and thankful that I have clarity back.

It is a challenge, but I don't want to be a prisoner to this addiction and have a mediocre life, I want to live life and I can see myself coming back to life and I hope this encourages others who are on the journey.

P&H
Peace&Harmony

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge