" "

100 day as my first goal

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: 100 day as my first goal

Postby DFP » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Had a great morning doing a 13km walk / run at the coast. Reflecting on the drive home how enjoyable the two hours were, and how little it cost (about $5 in fuel). So much better than two hours at the club which has often cost me hundreds. I was then recalling that there have been times in the past where I have set off to go on a long walk, but on the drive to the starting point the sneaky gambling demon convinced me to go to the pokies - even though that was absolutely not my intention when leaving the house. Nothing left to chance now as I make sure I don't have an ATM card on me. Feeling good. Day 12 done after today.
DFP

Postby pamela » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Well done.not gambling is a great achievement
pamela

Postby DFP » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Travelling away with work tomorrow night. So I have got everything prepared - enough cash for essentials, no ATM card and a credit card with no cash option for back-up. Also flying in late so there's not much time in the evening (straight to hotel). Feeling confident that I can do this. I bet I get urges, but can't do much damage. Day 13 today. Best wishes to you all.
DFP

Postby pamela » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 am

Well done and enjoy the time away being gamble free
pamela

Postby DFP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:52 pm

At airport. Strategy worked. No pokies. Day 15 today.
DFP

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Congratulations DFP, you are doing great!
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby jimi68 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 pm

well done. DFP
Just goes to show how bit of pre planning and intelligent forethought helps in tackling the urge.
You strike me as an intelligent person who is already doing a lot of good behaviors and habits and I feel optimistic about you succeeding.
you seem to me to be already equipped with great tools and awareness.
I take it from your description that you are normally in a non gambling state of mind but you are susceptible to urges that come as a sudden impulse? a sudden unexpected feeling that even surprises you in its intensity..?
Not gambling is great for any reason, but I'm wondering on your trip did you get an urge to gamble this time?

It took me awhile to understand myself but I realized one day that one of my own biggest tempters
was the random tempting feeling of misbehaving and no one will ever find out.
I often knew I shouldn't be doing it but that made it more exiting....
maybe you are like me, sneaking out at night to the cupboard and secretly eating all the cookies!!!
I saw myself as the non gambler who was sneaking in for a quikie and no harm will come of it.
do you feel like that?
I used to get a sudden urge anytime I had a spare hour and a venue was nearby....
and I would squeeze it in...
in between other things.. like I was rewarding myself with a little solo time
because often in life we spend our energy all day on everything else....
funny thing was at that time I didn't view myself as a gambler even though I was going a few times a week for years.........crazy!!!
I was a non gambler who gambles!!!!!
A few solid weeks of not responding to that strong random impulse by going and gambling...
definitely started a new habit in my life and I don't ever give in to it now.
Even though I get once a week random urges...
if your like me once you get some solid non gambling time under your belt youl be sailing smoothly!!!!
keep it up.
it helped me to decided that"' theres no such thing as a safe level of gambling"' for me.
not ever a dollar.
jimi68

Postby DFP » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi jimi68

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful comment - absolutely spot on and useful in confirming my own observation about this disease. It is so irrational and cruel than only a fellow gambler can explain. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Specifically, in terms of your questions:
Yes absolutely I am normally in a non gambling state but am susceptible to sudden intense urge.

On this last trip, the only time I thought about pokies was when I walked past a pub. And I saw someone coming out and using the ATM nearby. It helped reinforce that I should not go on. But in all honesty, the biggest dynamic was knowing that I did not have a lot of cash on me, so subconsciously thought 'what's the point'

Absolutely have the dynamic of 'rewarding myself' when there's opportunity of not being found out. My binge busts have generally been when I am away with work, alone and have the freedom of misbehaving. I can really relate to your description.

I am also encouraged by your optimism in my succeeding. The key for me is to realise that I will always have this disease. Therefore the mitigation strategies and planning activity that is working for me now, will need to be continued indefinitely. If 'the cure' works, then it confirms I have the disease! So I need to keep up 'the cure'. I have had extensive periods of success in the past, but I haven't been able to stay quit. So I need to keep doing what works, this disease will never go away but I can control it, everyday. I too feel optimistic if I can remember this.

Thanks again for your insightful and useful reply. 16 days today.
DFP

Postby jimi68 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:00 am

thanks for your reply,
I feel validated and happy that I seem to be on the same page as someone else and this helps me a lot too.
Its been 2 months for me now since I quit . although I slipped up twice in the first 2 weeks I look at them as learning experiences
I didn't start 100 days... I use my threads as a diary instead..
I started off counting the individual days and struggling on a day to day basis, but I have to say investing a huge amount of energy into the whole affair
I believe was nessessary to do at first to counter the brainwashing because of my tendancy to think I didn't have a problem when things were ok.
I first had to admit" I am a gambler""
I'm not in the habit of using the word disease like you do, but as I think about it, it makes sense.....
It is in you, but its not you.....
It has a life of its own..
it can be cured....
your not guilty for having it... (you might be guilty for giving in to it sometimes though)
and it might be hiding in the background like shingles and try to come back one day.

i think of the start of quitting as a kind of BOOT CAMP.
its only for a short period...and its intensive and grueling at times..
but once you graduate you will be a good little soldier like everyone else.
and you will practice the skills learnt in the future for years to come..
even when the war is over you will still be equipped for when the situation calls for it.
for that one time its needed
you will know what to do...
jimi68

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi DFP

You said that you gamble as a way to reward yourself when you have some alone time.

How else could you reward yourself?
Jerry (facilitator)

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge