" "

Really struggling today.

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Really struggling today.

Postby Catherine1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:13 pm

I have had a really crappy day at work. Stressed to the max as we have gone live with our new software system this week and i was sorting out quite a few issues today. So got really frustrated and annoyed and boy do i feel the need to gamble today. So far i have not given in to the urge. I will be 8 weeks gamble free this sunday so i dont want to blow it. Please give me the strength to get through this urge. I am annoyed with myself for having these gambling thoughts. I am hoping they go away soon. I am going to a friends birthday party tomorrow, so that will be a good distraction. Its out of town so i can also go and do some shopping.
Catherine1

Re: Really struggling today.

Postby pamela » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Catherine..dont give in to those urges..keep strong..think of all you stand to lose if you give in..go and enjoy your day tomorrow and think of it as a treat for being strong
Pam
pamela

Postby Izzi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Catherine, I understand how you feel I get those urges too when I get super stressed at work and see gambling as an out. Let that thought come in one ear and out the other, you can do this.
Such an amazing achievement 8 weeks WAHOO! have a great time away, it is going to be just what you need.

I bought myself some makeup and a couple of books today and I feel like a super star, buying myself things is something I need to get use to.

Please let us know how you go.
Izzi

Postby Catherine1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Saturday was a much better day. Had a nice lunch at the bakery. Did some shopping. Visited my husband's uncle in the nursing home. Bought some plants and pots at the nursery. Then went for a walk through the botanical gardens. Visited my niece, so we could get changed for the 50th birthday party we were going to. Went to the party and caught up with some old friends. The party was actually being held at the RSL, but I walked straight passed the Pokies room and did not hesitate. We had a great night with friends and had a great meal as well. Sunday, I tried a new recipe - Roasted Vegetable Lasagne. It was yum. I also started my new cross-stitch that arrived during the week. So, my head is back on track. Much more in control now than I was on Friday, but so glad I didn't play the pokies. Week 9 here we come. Big challenges at work in the next week. My first live pay run in the system. I have done so much work on this, I hope most of it runs smoothly.
Catherine1

Postby pamela » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi Catherine,sounds like a busy but nice weekend..you are doing great to resist those urges and I am quite sure all the hard work you have put in.will pay off..good luck with it all and stay positive.have a great week
Pam
pamela

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Congratulations Catherine,

You managed to walk right past the pokies without going in. That must be an awesome feeling to know that you can do it.

It also sounds like you are starting to settle into your new life without gambling. You are being social, being active, getting into cooking and gardening. You have lots to do to replace gambling, and it sounds like you are getting stronger and stronger.

Keep up the good work.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Izzi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Wahoo way to go Catherine, that is awesome. l love hearing about all the positive things you have to look forward to.

You are inspiring me, week 9 way to go!
As of today l hit week 8 (56 days) ekkk think that means l am two months clean, oh boy oh boy!
Wait is that right? 60 days or so in two months hmmmmmm something for me to look forward to at least :)
Izzi

Postby Catherine1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Haven't been on here for a while, as I have been flat out with work. Almost up to week 10 this sunday. Processed my first pay in the live system this Tuesday. Everyone got paid without any problems. Even got a pat on the back for my good wotk from the Ceo and one of the Directors. A few issues with payslips but have sorted these. It is such as relief to have finally gone live with the new system. I was pretty stressed out on Tuesday with a few work issues going on but didnt think of gambling to forget my problems. Received my tax return money today. I am putting half away towards my car account and I have a much deserved day off tomorrow and plan to go shopping out if town . Life is great when I am not gambling. I feel much more in control and my bank balance is thanking me for it.
Catherine1

Postby FamilyFirst » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi Catherine1,
I'm so happy for you, isn't it great once we can start using our hard earned money on things that bring us true enjoyment rather than throwing it all away week in week out.

Tax time for me this year is the first time in over 10 years as a sub contractor that I won't be owing the ATO $10k or more. As I have paid all my quarterly PAYG's on time, I should hopefully back in the black with them for once :cool:
I've paid them sooo much already in the last 7 months... 18k.... :(
Onwards and upwards, 5 months GF for me tomorrow.. Yay..... :o
Keep strong and keep posting your journey with us all.
Cheers, Lee
FamilyFirst

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:06 am

Hi Catherine,

I love reading your story. You have put the effort in to chagnge your habit and are now starting to reap the rewards. My favorite part of your last post was:

"Life is great when I am not gambling".
Jerry (facilitator)

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge