" "

100 day challenge.

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: 100 day challenge.

Postby StopPunt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 pm

blastoise (facilitator) wrote:Stop Punt!

Apologies for the delay, but WOOHOO! Congratulations on making such a positive step in removing gambling from your life! Did you do something to celebrate?

How has the last week been? Well done again!

Regards

Blastoise

Thanks a lot.

Day 127 now 👍 I have been going from day to night shift lately so havent had any urge to bet coz Ive been either working or sleeping haha

No celebration really. Just a big pat on the back for myself.

Keep it up everyone 👍
StopPunt

Postby pamela » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:22 am

Well done..keep going down this path.its better than the gambling path.
pamela

Postby reebee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi today is day 1 of my 100 day challenge to stay clean. Today is the first day of the rest of my life, without pokie addiction in it.
reebee

Re: 100 day challenge. Day 2

Postby reebee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 am

Last night I slept like a baby. I just cant believe I gambled again yesterday after vowing to never go there again! I went gambling with the sole intention of hurting myself - punishing myself and I surely did that. This morning Im still in shock thinking about it. How can I ever trust myself again? Ive come to learn that its my reaction to certain situations that trigger me to gamble. Deep down, it all gets back to the same thing - self hatred, self blame even when it is no fault of my own. I need to learn different ways of reacting to situations. I need to stop being so mean to myself. Well today, I WILL NOT GAMBLE.
reebee

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Reebee,

Congratulations for being able to get right back to quitting. Lapses are normal. It usually takes people many goes before they are able to become permanently gambling free. Each attempt is a learning opportunity.

Today you will not gamble.

So what will you do instead?

What do you think will take the place of gambling in the long run?
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby FamilyFirst » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi stop punt,
129 days gamble free is bloody awesome work buddy ;)
It makes me so happy to hear it!!
WELL DONE.
FamilyFirst

Postby reebee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Jerry,

I started this journey about 3 years ago or so. Made heaps of progress. Thought Id stopped then life got in the way. Recently lost my job through no fault of my own, and the proverbial hit the fan throwing me into a tailspin of gambling, where I have lost so much of my hard earned savings. I want so badly to start repaying myself, but presently cannot because i have no job. A thousand of my comrades and i all lost our jobs overnight literally via an email and text message. I had my dream job - a great income and my career was progressing. It was stolen away from me and with so many of us looking for the same work, it is virtually impossible to land a job now as the market is saturated. Feelings of betrayal towards the directors of the company who even stole our superannuation payments although they were stating on payslips it was paid, has really affected me deeply and i guess i took it out on myself and acted out with the gambling.

What will i do today? What ive been doing for the past 2 months spending incessant amounts of time on my computer applying for jobs which is getting me nowhere, other than a few interviews where ive almost landed the job.
reebee

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Reebee,

Nothing in this world is all good, or all bad, but shades of grey.

Let me give you some examples.

Is having a baby good or bad? Some would say good but the answer is both. On the one hand you have created life and brought joy to your world. On the other you have lost some independence, sleep and freedom. Having a baby is both good and bad. On balance it is good, but there are still some negative aspects.

Is getting a promotion good or bad? Some would say good but the answer is both. While on the one hand you will get a pay rise, new people to work with and other perks, on the other hand you still have to say goodbye to your old workmates, and may have to do more work. On balance it is good, but there are still bad aspects.

Is having a dump-truck full of manure crash through your living room to spill its contents over your lounge good or bad? Some would say bad but the answer is both. While on the one hand your house needs a whole lot of renovating and your living room will never smell the same again, on the other hand you now have a funny story to share with your friends, and your garden will look really nice thanks to the free manure. On balance it is terrible and I really wouldn’t want that to happen to me, but there are still some positive aspects.

Now take being fired.

Is getting fired good or bad? Some would say bad but the answer is both. While it is clear that losing your dream job is terrible on balance, it does not mean that there are no small positive aspects. I wonder if you had thought much about the good things about losing your job?

There are some really.

One that springs to mind is more free time. Free time can be a wonderful blessing if used correctly. It sounds like at the moment you are using your time to apply for jobs and nothing else. There is a better way to spend your time. Searching for jobs is great but doesn’t need to take up the whole day. You could search for jobs for a couple of hours and then use the rest of the time for something else.

Free time can be used to increase your fitness. Jogging, push-ups and aerobics are free. If you focus on this then loosing your job could increase your fitness and make you look all buff and sexy.

Free time can be used to socialize with people. Devoting some time to catching up with old friends and new can strengthen relationships. There are few people that on their deathbed wish that they had devoted more time to working and less to spending with their family.

Free time can be used to help the community. Studies of well-being show that the happiest people in society tend to devote time to helping others. You could devote some time to volunteer work, helping homeless, refugees or other minority groups. This could improve self esteem and can help to develop new interests and social connection.

Free time can be used to develop a new hobby or interest. (Interests that could take the place of gambling for example). While a lot of hobbies are expensive, many are also free or very cheap. You could take up chess, checkers or bridge. You could buy a ukulele for $20 and teach yourself to play using YouTube videos. You could do all the bush-walking tracks in your area. You could learn French or Origami. The options are endless.

So you have lost your job and you have two ways you can deal with it. You can spend your time job hunting and nothing else. Or you can utilize the opportunities that free time can give you, improve your health, develop social connection, help others and develop new interests.

There are some good things.

But it still sucks that you have lost your job.

Embrace the good things.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby BRC.2010 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi all, I'm very new to the site only joined about half hour ago to be honest I should have joined over a year ago when I knew I had a problem. I would really like to give this 100 day challenge a good hard go starting as of tomorrow the 19/8/17
It's going to be extremely hard for me but I need this if I can go 100 days I'll no that I'm on the right path because at the moment I can't go a day.
BRC.2010

Postby StopPunt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:39 am

Day 153 today. Starting to get a little itch because Spring is coming and the Spring carnival and all the good horses are on their way back... But Im determined to keep going!! Cant believe it been over 5 months without a punt 👍 Footy season is nearly over too which was one of my main areas of losing money.

All in all doing ok. Need to stay strong but stay smart. It can be done everyone 👍

All the very best
StopPunt

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge