" "

First post- time for change

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

First post- time for change

Postby CSLbonny » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi all, I have just signed up tonight as I am sick of wasting all my money on the pokie machines.
I am 25 and work full time In a very respected role, know one really know that I have a terrible habit which is now turned into a problem- I have a gambling problem.
I feel that I have made a step forward in admitting this. I am embrassed of my self because of my problem
Gambling.
I have worked out my
Main trigger (s) which of course is pay day - I can go to the pokies the following day (or the next depending on work) and blow a great proportion of this- if I win well that's great sometime I'll go buy something and put it into the bank, then the following week I'll spend all that and the rest of my pay and then will be counting down until the next pay day ... I can't believe I do this!! It makes me feel sick. My other trigger is being board ... well now I need to work on these two things.
The one good thing I have going is that I haven't had to borrow money from banks etc .... but have I got any money at the end of pay week? No.

I can't believe that I allow myself to waste money that realistically I don't have- I know the odds of winning big are near impossible- if I win I take it out, but I don't leave the premises instead I usually go and blow it in other machines and sit there working out how much I need to win to go out even when I could have been up.
My gambling is all over the shop - sometimes I can leave and walk out even or up- and not play for a week, but recently it's got to the point where if I do walk out I am back on my next day off and loose everything .

So today I am taking action- I want to change.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to continue to post about my story.
Bye for now 😀
CSLbonny

Re: First post- time for change

Postby JinxyWolf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi CSLbonny and welcome to the community,

and that's what we are here a community. We all have similar stories and are going though the same journey you have just begun. We are here to support each other, there is no judgement here. We all have had that "I feel so stupid for wasting my money, what was I thinking" moment but the fact that you are seeking help is the first step to freeing yourself from this addiction.

It's great to see that you have already pinned down some of your triggers, that will help you to spot times when you are at a high risk of gambling. I would suggest you get in touch with a councellor, they can help you with coping techniques and strategies to deal with your triggers and urges.

Don't dwell on the past, it's done, can't be changed, all we can do is learn from it and move forward. That money you lost is gone, not coming back, don't chase it, chasing it will only lead you down a dark and lonely road. Move on, you are still young, like you said, you haven't borrowed money so you will earn that money back, the hard way, the right way and in a way you can be proud of.

Be Strong, keep posting and remember we are here to support you through this journey no matter what.

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Re: First post- time for change

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi CSLbonny,

Thanks for sharing your story. It takes tremendous courage to be able to share problems and admit we need help, thanks for having the courage to do so.

There is lots of help available on this forum. Many people have struggled with the same problems that you have shared and have been able to beat their addiction. Read through the forums, look to see what sorts of help are available and what will suit you.

It's not easy to quit gambling, but you don't have to do it alone.

Welcome to the forums
Jerry (facilitator)

Return to Your Diary of Recovery