" "

Life is worth fighting for

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Life is worth fighting for

Postby Keeton » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 am

Hello to all. My name is Keeton... I joined this forum back in 2014 and have been an on off member since then. Like most problem gamblers I have my ups and downs.

For those who don't know i have been gambling since I turned 18 (which was pretty much since I was legally allowed to bet. My form of destruction has been poker machines. my gambling started out as entertainment like most people but over time as I kept trying to get the winning feeling alive i would do anything to keep playing pokies including stealing, lying, and generally spending pretty much all or majority of my money. ]

Before I was gambling i was a very loved and kind individual who lived life happily and had fun doing it. Once i started gambling, things were slowly taken away from me.

I could go on all day about what gambling has done to me but the gyst of it is that it has given me absolutely nothing but heartache, depression and anger.

6 years later today and my life is actually on a positive road. all along i have wanted to stop playing pokies but I just kept tellint myself that I could control how much I could spend on gambling. That will never happen as when I start winning or losing i dont stop until all my money is gone.

last week after losing most of my weekly wages gambling again, I just needed somebody to talk to so I rang the gambling helpline (1800 858 858) so I could talk about my situation and for some advice. They were really helpful asnd it was just nice to chat to someone who doesn't judge and could give me the support that i desperately needed all along. After letting it all out a part of me had changed and I felt a sense of calm and relief that someone actually was there to talk to.

After that day which was 5 days ago I have just been so much happier because i have gotten the support that can help me fight this horrible addiction. since then I have been enjoying myself such as going to the gym, colouring in (good with music haha), and playing games. I have gone more places such as go out with friends on a friday night and visit my family for some quality time. those are the things that are worth fighting for.

I have found that my mind has expanded in a way i haven't seen in years. i get excited about the endless possibilities and things i can do if i don't gamble.

As I said to onE of the councellors 'IT'S TIME TO STEP OUT OF THE GAMING ROOM AND MOVE ON'

I know It won't be easy to change a habit that i have had for so long but I know that i can do it... we all can.. i just had to believe in myself again and get the much needed support that was keeping me going back week after week.

Best wishes to all. keep fighting this terrible addiction.. YOU CAN DO IT!

Til next time,
Keeton
Keeton

Re: Life is worth fighting for

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Keeton,

Thanks for your story. It sounds like Gamblers Helpline was really useful for you! It's great to see that you are getting out there and are starting to do some alternate activities to gambling. I think that once people take the effort to get some help that their relationship to gambling changes.

I would love to hear how you go over the coming weeks.

Keep up the good work.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Keeton » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks Jerry, yeah I have come a long way to where I was a year ago. I guess reaching out a not keeping it a secret helped me a lot but I still have work to do to completely quit.

Well after a bit of a slip up yesterday I feel a bit better. I went to get fuel along a highway and ended up going to the venue that I have been going to lately to gamble. At least this time I had actually got the fuel first and I put half my pay into a savings account in mums name. I do find that having the money in there is helpful because even if I play pokies again I still have a backup. Reflecting back on that moment I guess I was trying to get some excitement or an instant adrenaline rush. Next time this desire comes around I will do a workout at the gym instead to keep my mind off it and to make me feel better.

Although it can be tough to stay away from them after playing them for 6 years I believe that I can do it.

Next week I see my councellor on Friday so then I can talk about some strategies to put in place for next time.

Even though I did gamble I am actually proud of myself for taking action and acknowledging that I need help.

I will just keep looking forward to the future and thinking of what my life will be like without gambling in my life.
Keeton

Postby pamela » Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am

Hi Keeton..sounds like you are positive this time.Dont dwell on the slip up but just move forward..put strategies in place so the temptation isn't there..it does get easier..
pamela

Return to Your Diary of Recovery