" "

Try writing a list

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

Try writing a list

Postby Richie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Something that might be helpful to some people out there is to jot down a short negative and positive list on reasons not to gamble and keep it on you at all times. I have started to do this. On the negative list it maybe 1. Can't save money. 2. Has a negative impact on my work. Makes me grumpy with others. 3. Makes me depressed. 4. Makes me angry. 5. Affects my health. 6. Gets me back to square one. 7. It's like I am paying to go to work. On the positive side it maybe 1. Good for savings (thousands) 2. Feel a lot happier. 3. Feel much more free in my mind. 4. Enjoy work more. 5. I am happy with myself and around others. 6. My health is better. The list is just an aid to help to reinforce to the brain cause and effect. Because I find with gambling I just don't think beyond the time that I gamble but hopefully this list will help me to do that and stop me in my tracks. I hope others find it useful as well.
Richie

RE: Try writing a list

Postby helz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Richie (21/09/2014)Something that might be helpful to some people out there is to jot down a short negative and positive list on reasons not to gamble and keep it on you at all times. I have started to do this. On the negative list it maybe 1. Can't save money. 2. Has a negative impact on my work. Makes me grumpy with others. 3. Makes me depressed. 4. Makes me angry. 5. Affects my health. 6. Gets me back to square one. 7. It's like I am paying to go to work. On the positive side it maybe 1. Good for savings (thousands) 2. Feel a lot happier. 3. Feel much more free in my mind. 4. Enjoy work more. 5. I am happy with myself and around others. 6. My health is better. The list is just an aid to help to reinforce to the brain cause and effect. Because I find with gambling I just don't think beyond the time that I gamble but hopefully this list will help me to do that and stop me in my tracks. I hope others find it useful as well.

Great idea Richie, I had one I compiled during gambling counselling earlier this year, during a 3 month period of abstinence. I will pull it out of the drawer!
Even reading your list is inspiring. And I definitely relate to all of your positives and negatives. Thank you!
helz

Postby Phoenix » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:40 am

Hi Richie. Keep us posted on how your list is working for you because I am a little concerned that it could backfire on you. Our brains can only work toward something, not away from it. For example, if I say to myself 'I am never going to smoke again' all I can think about is smoking whereas if I say 'I want to be healthy' then images of being healthy come to mind and the desire to smoke is reduced. Depending on how you have worded your list, it could have the potential to constantly keep you thinking about gambling or do you carry to look at only if you are on the brink of having a bet?

I am 28 days GF today $3,920.00 Saved!

Phoenix

Postby Richie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 am

Hi Phoenix. It is a good point you make. I suppose I wrote the list to help me to reason and to think about bad consequences of gambling and good consequences of not gambling. I just tend to look at it once in the morning and in the list I don't really mention the word pokies which is my downfall but I can see where you are coming from, the less you entertain any thoughts, the better off you are. Having said that, the list is very simple and short and I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Richie

Postby beercans » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:49 pm

hi richiei done a list for my self
only 3 things and i going will with it
and each dasy i not gamble is a day closer to doing my list
when i done the 3 things i want i put 23 more things to do
beercans

Postby helz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:38 pm

I think it's important to have that list of consequences and to be real about how each of them have made you felt in the past. I think it's a valuable tool as well as the list of positives about not gambling. Because there might come a day when you think, wow I'm feeling so good. This gambling problem is under control, I'm fine to have another go, it wont be compulsive, I'm now in control etc. The list of consequences reminds you of what the negative consequences are - because the further away from them you are , the less you remember the pain it caused.
helz

Postby Richie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes. I think the list is working for me. I am on day 12 and have not gambled. It appears to help you to reason. I also find this in combination with removing gambling thoughts from my mind immediately they appear. This seems to protect me from convincing myself to gamble.
Richie

Postby helz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Richie (26/09/2014)Yes. I think the list is working for me. I am on day 12 and have not gambled. It appears to help you to reason. I also find this in combination with removing gambling thoughts from my mind immediately they appear. This seems to protect me from convincing myself to gamble.

That's great Richie. I am also having success by removing gambling as an option in my life, in terms of my mindset. Keep up the good work!
helz

Postby Richie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 am

I am reading the list that I have made once every morning and am finding it a very effective and valuable tool in the fight against gambling.
Richie

Postby Brad4 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi..

I have done the list activity with my psych last week.. I found it very insightful and helpful. . My list was split into 1. Benefits of not gambling and 2. Consequences of not gambling.. obviously the benefits far out weighed the consequences of not gambling. The list can be used to reflect upon if gambling urges present..
Brad4

Next

Return to Strategies for Change