Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Menz199

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 am

Hello All
    Day 26 another good day, another slow day at work, but I think that the rest of the week should be good.
    Thanks for those suggestions @Lovely Cat Lady, you can't go wrong with Eye of the Tiger, it's a great song. I don't think I've heard of the other song you mentioned, but I know I have the name Crimson Glory before.

Anyway it's very late, as usual, lol so another short post. I should go to bed earlier but normally don't drift off to sleep, until it's late anyway Some nights I toss and turn a lot. Will have to improve my bedtime and sleep routine sometime, but one step at a time.

Day 26 getting close to a month now, whoa it goes quickly, almost winter too now. What happened to autumn?
    0 x
    Menz199

Fri May 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Hey all
    Skipped another day, but oh well. Work was alright yesterday, been pretty slow this week, but otherwise ok. I didn't sleep too well last night. I decided to take today off and glad I did, I could have gone to work today, but I would have struggled to get through it. I had a good relaxing day, doing a bit of shopping and bought a few new things. So all in all another good day, looking forward to the weekend and especially catching up on sleep.

I might go and do some photography tomorrow if the weather is nice. It used to be my main hobby before the gambling demon overtook my life. I'm slowly getting back into it. Otherwise just washing and relaxing. I bought some sticky notes, so will work on making to do lists, or reminders.

Have a great weekend everyone

Day 28 - very close to a month :D
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat May 29, 2021 10:59 am

hey @Menz199 you're so close to a month, that's really exciting! how are you feeling about this milestone? Photography is a great hobby, what do you like to photograph?
    0 x
    Menz199

Sat May 29, 2021 10:10 pm

Yes @Printemps it is exciting, I’m feeling all the better for it too :);

Day 29 another good day, washing and just relaxing today. Was a reasonable day, but the wind was very chilly so no photography today.

I mainly like to photograph landscapes and nature, I’m thinking I should pick a weekend and go on a photography trip, when I put a few more $$ away first though.

@Lovely Cat Lady i hope your well.

Day 29 feeling great and loving life again :D
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun May 30, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi @Menz199,

I'm very well. Thanks! :cool: How's your weekend going?

Day 30!!!! You've made it through one month gamble free, hurray!!!! :D

Photography is a beautiful hobby. And saving $$ for a trip to do landscape and nature photography can be a very motivating goal for you to keep on track.

Good on you for getting the sticky notes too. Have you started any to-do lists with them?
    0 x
    Menz199

Sun May 30, 2021 7:50 pm

Day 30 ssssssssoooooooo close to a month now, it feels great. :D :D

My weekend was mostly uneventful, aside from buying a few things and catching up on washing, all that fun stuff you do on days off.

Yes just mainly figuring out where I want to go to, then I should have a fair idea on how much I need. I'll invite A friend and see if he wants to come to.

I have started writing little reminders on sticky notes for now, not an actual to-do list, but I feel it's a good start. If I leave little reminders around, I should get more stuff completed and forget less.

Otherwise it's then end of another weekend, man they go too fast. So back to work tomorrow. I have a good feeling about this week. Work should be a lot busier.

Day 30- looking forward to the week ahead. :D
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon May 31, 2021 10:31 am

Day 31, officially one month gamble free! Congratulations @Menz199!!! :D :cool:

Haha, the fun weekend adulting activities.

That sounds good. Little nice local trip with a friend is something to look forward to and a motivation to save some money for it too.

That's great! Yes, even if it's not a to-do list, it's a great way to have reminders all around to get things done.

Yes, weeks go by so fast. Can't believe we're already half way through this year. Any goals to kick on this second half of the year aside from the gamble free lifestyle?

Fantastic, hope you have a fantastic week at work. What an awesome way to start it off than being ONE MONTH GAMBLE FREE! :D :D
    1 x
    Menz199

Mon May 31, 2021 11:31 pm

Day 31 WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    A whole month free from gambling :D :D :D :D :D
    I feel amazing reaching this far.

Today was great, work was pretty good. Caught up with a friend of mine after work which was nice. A goal which I like to achieve is to have a bit more self-confidence in myself. One thing I don't think I've ever mentioned here is that I struggle with anxiety problems and have difficulty in certain situations, or dealing with new social things. That's actually one thing that my friend and I discussed tonight. I don't go out much but when I was gambling, that was the main reason to go out, just gamble. It wasn't to meet new people, it was mainly just trying to keep myself in the zone and vainly try and win money. I don't have too many friends, but it is something I want to work on.

Don't get me wrong I love my solitude and alone time, but I do wish I was a bit more confident in approaching new people. I suppose up until this time, that's the thing, because I had so few friends, I've mainly had to make my own fun per se that's why I've always enjoyed gambling so much, as it's mainly a solo activity aside from the odd few interactions you may have from either staff or other gamblers. I mean you and go into any pokie room and nearly everyone, aside from groups are just sitting there staring at the screen and just hitting buttons. Not talking or even taking notice of one another.

(Just a note my friend doesn't know about my gambling problem, but he knows a bit about my anxiety problems but when I feel ready too I will tell him.)
    Sorry for the long rant
    Weeks off to a pretty good start so far :D

Day 31 feeling fantastic :D
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 am

heya @menz199 a month is massive! You should 100% be feeling amazing right now, you've put in the hard yards and it shows!

I get exactly where you're coming from, anxiety can make forging new social connections feel totally overwhelming. It's great that you're able to talk to your mate about it, it really helps being able to confide with friends, especially when your anxiety is high. It sounds like you've been reflecting a lot on the role gambling had in creating a sense of fun, without forcing you out of your comfort zone. Do you have anything in mind to help you reach out to new people? For a lot of people apps like MeetUp are useful in connect people through mutual interests, like hiking or photography.

I hope day 32 is going well thus far! It's great to hear you're feeling fantastic, it's a great way to kick off the week! :o
    0 x
    Menz199

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:09 pm

Hey @Printemps thanks for the support. Yes I'm feeling great.

Honestly I have not thought about how I'm going to meet new people. I mainly been focused on beating this problem and it's only now that I pushed the idea expanding my social circle. One step at a time. My friend did mention the idea of going to a psychologist, and I have thought about the idea on and off ever since I started this challenge. Initially mainly to help tackle this problem. But through keeping this journal and doing the things I have done.

Meet up or a similar app would be great, but first of all I've got to keep working on my self confidence/self There's no point in trying to do new things if I'm just going to get overwhelmed and have my anxiety levels go through the roof.

Anyway enough about that for one day, my day was good, work started very slow but eventually got busier towards the end. Otherwise not much else. Just been sitting in my room watching T.V. It's mainly what I do on quiet evenings.

Day 32 - feeling anxious about the road ahead, especially with all these new thought's rushing around my head but feeling quietly confident that I can slowly put one foot in front of the other and come through this a lot mentally stronger in more ways than just a few. Still proud of myself so far though :D
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”