Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My reasons for change

A place for our whole Gambling Help Online community to connect. Includes special forum events, monthly rundowns and a place to chat with forum friends.
    smokey86

Re: My reasons for change

Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:08 am

@Danos2292 thanks for your reply!

Yes, I understand 100% about how this addiction can make you lie as to where money is going etc. and then obviously feel the shame and guilt afterwards.

On quite a few occasions I have had trouble sleeping due to the guilt of this addiction.

For the first time since January, my husband, 2 kids and I all have these September school holidays off together!

We plan on doing a staycation these holidays and doing extra activities with the kids which will hopefully keep my mind busy.

What are your plans this weekend?
    1 x
    Danos2292

Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:23 pm

@smokey86

That's great to hear about your family spending all that time together :)

Nothing special for my weekend doing a full clean of the house and yard as our inspection is shortly so a fun weekend! Haha
    2 x
    smokey86

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:22 pm

@Danos2292

Ha ha, it must be the weekend for it!

The hubby and I done about 3 hours worth of gardening and yard work this morning too!

Finally relaxing with a drink now :-)
    1 x
    Danos2292

Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:29 pm

@smokey86

Must be! Haha was a busy one just finished up the mowing, a well deserved drink I'm sure :) one more day not betting ! :)
    3 x
    smokey86

Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:59 pm

@Danos2292 yes, for sure!

Feels good to get out there in the sun, fresh air and work up a sweat lol

I'm on day 17 now and although the urges are still there, they are definitely less with my whole household currently being on holidays.

I had 3 options to go for lunch today and I was extremely proud of myself for not choosing a pub!

I wasn't confident if we went to the pub for lunch, that I wouldn't try and venture off into the pokie area, so needed to take away that temptation.

We are going for a pub dinner this Wednesday night, but will have the kids with us, so dramatically less chance of wandering off.

I hope you're enjoying your Sunday night!
    2 x
    Danos2292

Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 pm

@smokey86

It really does feel great although I'm exhausted relaxing now haha, congrats on day 17! And great choice on dodging the pub I would need to do the same.
    I'm sure U can do it on Wednesday! Good luck :)

Relaxing Sunday night for me before another big week :)
    4 x
    Grubb187

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:28 am

Hi @Pikachu
    I am doing this for my family and also myself. I feel a lot better lately knowing money i would have normally gambled has been going towards new things for the house, laybys for kids bday presents and splurging a little bit on myself.
    I look back on how much money wasted and how many ways it could have been utilised better.
    Hope @smokey86 and @Danos2292 are doing well!
    3 x
    smokey86

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:34 pm

Hi @Grubb187

Still doing well thank you.

My husband and I went to the pub to play some pool and have some lunch with friends Last Thursday. We both done ok and I think I needed to test myself whilst he was there to see if I could stop. I stopped at $50 but definitely wanted to put more in. So, instead we left and went home to the kids :-)

So technically back on day 5 today, but nowhere near as many losses as prior. I don't think I'll be going back for quite a while now though as I am determined to beat this monster.

Think I'm going to do a big clean out tomorrow and possibly put things aside for a garage sale as you never realise how much junk you accumulate!
    1 x
    Danos2292

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi @Grubb187

I'm doing great thankyou ! 27 days and counting longest in 12 years :) it's for real this time I know it, I'm so glad your doing so well I'm in the same boat saving money that would have just been gambled away! We can all do it , it helps having a community of similar cases together we can beat it :)
    3 x
    Pikachu

Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:58 am

Looking back to 2022, how was your journey?

Our reasons for change are the things that keep us fighting. It gives us motivation and strength. It is important to keep in mind the reasons you are working towards, tho the reasons can change as time past.

At the beginning of 2023, I would like to invite everyone to share your reasons for change. What keeps you in this journey?

@Sirinivasan, @Makersz, @Chris J, @MissE, @Jade1234, @aj13, @recovery_2022, @Teddy78, @Jacknicklaus, @Loseallgone, @HeidiDalty, @Kristie5, @Paul, @GenOkowa, @Pete, @Jewel of innocence
    1 x

Return to “Community Space”