Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • i need help from my gambling addiction

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    dragon1

i need help from my gambling addiction

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi,
    i lost all my money on poker machines, i really hate myself. i'm 42 now, most of my friends have house and family, and here i am, lost all my money, no house, not even married because of this gambling addiction. everytime i play, the amount i bet gets higher, everytime i win, i want to go again the next day and win more, and everytime i lose, i want to go back and win back what i have lost. and of course that will never happen, i know i have gambling problem, and want to fix it, i have tried many times, sometimes i will go couple of months without playing. but then go back into it. i have no confident in myself anymore. friends call me to go out, i don't even want to see them, when i was 25, i have saved up to $100,000 of saving, i could have purchased a house at that time, and with a house, i could of started a family. and here i am at 42 with no money, family or friends , i wish australia never had poker machines, many other country doesn't allow poker machine, and is illegal to gamble in their country, why can't australia be the same? i lost so many friends, as they call me out, and i don't even go out with them, everytime i see them, the first thing they ask, is when you getting married, as they are all married with kids, i don't even feel confident to even get a girlfriend, and she finding out i have no money. i'm the type of person who save of other things, i buy no brand clothes, i don't eat expensive food or go out to fancy restaurant, i don't spend on luxury things for myself, but when it comes to gambling i don't even care about the money i spend, i do $4 hits each time, sometimes $10 hits. thats what i hate about myself, i never really got to enjoy my life and go on holidays or to treat myself and others, i really don't know what to do with my life anymore. my life is so meaningless. please help me. how do i turn my life back to normal.
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Re: i need help from my gambling addiction

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:15 pm

you're looking for tried and tested methods, read on...
    I've been battling this horrible beast (pokies) for almost 25 years, with periods of inactivity due to success of some methods...Alcohol dosnt help your state of mind and can cause you to trigger.
    * First and most obvious is see a councillor and get yourself excluded from the venues you frequent ie the ones near your house, on the way to and from work, around the train station.
    * Don't carry a key card. You don't need it. Period. Carry a bit of cash - keep reading...
    * A game changer for me was opening a joint account with my partner, I had the mentality that it was "my" money, doing this helped limit the amount I gambled/lied about.
    * Unfortunately this one dosnt work any more, but for the last one and a half years I havnt known the pin to my credit card, it only became apparent to me a couple of months ago I could manage the pin through my banking app, which is has cost my about $6000, until today where I accepted I didn't have to strength to do this on my own, and here it is, my secret weapon, which I have turned to before...
    * The Australia post prepaid credit card. It costs $7.95. It's a single use card which can be loaded with up to $500 in credit, it has a pin (which I recorded else where and scratched off the back). It can only be used for purchases. So no need to carry a key card, I've got $40 cash and one of these in my wallet. If your very weak chop your cards up or give them to a relative or friend.
    If there's one thing I know for sure, the battle is on going, qaurter century later and I'm a little wiser, but still can't help myself.
    Please message me if you want to know any of the finer points or details.
    1 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    the_penguin

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Hey @dragon1

We haven't heard from you in a while... how's it going?
    @Damaged_Armour Made some really good points... Have you had a chance to look over these?

Take care.
    0 x
    ryan1019

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi Dragon, your definitely not alone like me no house no car as no need for on with public transport and yes play the machines. I guess we shouldn’t be looking at the material value of what others have thats my weaknesses and dig deep look and oneself to take stock all i can say is im in the same boat in many aspects
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”