Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Helping out a friend

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    sticky_chicken

Helping out a friend

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi, I am in a recovery program for a different fellowship. I have been asked by a friend who has just returned home from a rehabilitation clinic to help her with her recovery from gambling. I am familiar with the programs for recovery from substances, but I know very little about gambling. I was wondering if there is anywhere I can access any resources to aid in my friend's recovery, such as literature, phone numbers, meeting details and links to GA speakers. Any assistance you can give me will be much appreciated.
    2 x
    pamela

Re: Helping out a friend

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:39 pm

hello..where is your friend situated?
    There are many agencies that would be beneficial,depending on where she/he lives
    Relationships Australia,is a good place to start,Gamblers Anonymous,they can always ring the Gambling Help Line,they will be able to help with numbers.
    Good luck with their recovery
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Helping out a friend

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am

Hi there @sticky_chicken
    Welcome to the forums!

As @pamela mentioned, your friend can call the helpline to receive support and referral to a gambling counselling service, also they can search the Gamblers Anonymous website to find a meeting.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”