Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    the_penguin

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 am

Hi @centson ,

Welcome to the forums!

You're certainly going through a hard time at the moment, but you're no longer going through it alone. You have us on the forum to support you in your journey through this bleak period.
    Have you considered engaging with problem gambling services to get some professional support? If you call the Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858, you can get a referral to free, local problem gambling counselling services. It would be a great addition to your support community.

Take care.
    2 x
    Person19

New here

Sun May 01, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi, I’m new here
    I am a 19 year old who has been struggling with a gambling addiction since the hour I turned 18. I have never been addicted to all of the tempting things I’ve tried in my life and I knew when I found what it was it would be astronomically bad. Everyone of my cards I own are cut in half and I still find a way to gamble. This is my step into changing and leaving this behind me
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon May 02, 2022 8:58 am

Hello @Person19

Calvin here! I'm one of the facilitators.

Welcome to the forums and good on you for reaching out.
    The beginning stages of changing a gambling habit can sure be difficult at first, but with the right support it slowly becomes easier.
    I would encourage you to have a think about what your main urges are to gamble, that way you have something to begin with. Have a think about what draws you back into gambling even when you know you shouldn't. Think about the thoughts and emotions that come up when you do experience urges/temptations.
    I hope you find the forums helpful and welcome again!

Calvin
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat May 07, 2022 11:54 am

Welcome to the forums @Hopeful57 @Rafic18 @Sunshines @Md shakinur @re1oad @OverAndOver @Marzena @lam98 @Buttercup @Oldazza @JohnBoy

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, maybe what brought you here, a little about yourself and your goals!

I highly recommend having a look at the Success Stories and the 100 Day Challenge.

:);
    1 x
    Egiman

Mon May 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Hiyall new here

Well where can I start I have a problem
    Well multiple problems

I have blown over 30k this year.
    I have addmited I have a problem to my wife
    I own a home car's and have 3 great kids

And now there is a chance I am going loose it all

Hoping this platform gives me the strength to beat this addiction and not loose my family

I need help pray for me
    1 x
    Printemps

Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 am

good morning everyone and welcome to our new members @Biki @Horne869 @footballfan13 @JackJames30 @Motiv8 @LGuest95 @Margin and @User 60ac6d68b34e4

This is a safe space for you t share your journeys and connect with others. If you have any questions or need a bit of support, use the @ symbol to tag myself or any of the moderators!

Looking forward to seeing you all around :)
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 14, 2022 2:44 pm

welcome to our newest members @Michaela174 @raspy289 @Mk13 @QWAS @Veronica123 @Jean73 @Betty B123 @Koolie @Stevo2604 @jjfisher187 and @out of control

In this community you be able to find support and connection during your recovery journey!

If you have any questions, feel free to tag me or any of the other moderators using the @ symbol!
    0 x
    Joshb96

Sat May 14, 2022 11:50 pm

Hi,

My names Josh aged 26, I’ve been gambling for the past 6 years. It’s hard to describe what’s lead me to this point, I need help & direction as to what steps would be helpful with beating this addiction. Over the years I have lost so much money to gambling and to be earning such a high wage at a young age and having nothing to show for it feels truly embarrassing. I’m at a point in my life where I’ve met someone, I’ve been dating them for the last year and I have been better with gambling, but when I do slip up it’s catastrophic. Recently I’ve slipped up again and I feel like I’m at a point where I feel like I can’t beat this alone. I don’t want to look back in 20 years thinking I wish I had of done something differently, I want life to better and create a better future. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Josh
    1 x
    Robert89

Sun May 15, 2022 10:19 am

I'm Robert I'm 32 and I have a pokie addiction. Last 2 years I have wasted so much money on them. My addiction is so bad that even when I do win I put it all back in. There have been many times where I've won thousands but every time I'll just up the bet and press it all back through. There has been weeks where I'll put all my pay through and absolutely struggle financially for the rest of the week. I really do lose all control when I'm in front of one of those machines. I went through a divorce just over 2 years ago and just weeks after that my 4 month old baby boy was terribly injured and left severely disabled. That has probably contributed to the addiction along with boredom as I work very physically demanding 10/12 hour days and I have no social life. I'm really not enjoying life ATM it just feels like groundhog day and I'm on autopilot. I've spoken to counsellors I've self isolated I started going to the gym every night for the last 6 months and I bought a guitar and am slowly learning but still not enough to kick this addiction.
    The fact that there are pokies on every corner on every block adds to the challenge. Im sure I will find lots of helpful stories and advice on this site.
    2 x
    the_penguin

Sun May 15, 2022 12:38 pm

Hi @Joshb96 and @Robert89 ,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing your stories. It takes quite a bit of guts to tell your story to strangers, and for that I congratulate you both.
    You'll find us a welcoming community that is both caring and non-judgemental.

Have either of you connected with local Gambling Help services? That is always a good place to start, so that you can get the professional help you need alongside the community support here on the forums. If you're unfamiliar with Gambler's Help, you can phone them on 1800 858 858 any time to get a referral to free local services.

In terms of sharing here, it might be helpful for both of you and our other members to share strategies of what has worked in terms of minimising the gambling, and perhaps what hasn't worked either. It can take some time to find the right relapse prevention strategies, so its worth hearing from others so you can refine your own process.
    3 x

Return to “Change Makers”