Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Mish_27

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum @Cools2036.
    its really good to hear that you have decided to make a change and let go of the gambling! hopefully you will find the forum a supportive place to learn about how to let go of the gambling and keep it away long term.
    2 x
    Permi82

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi my name is Joe I am 38, married with one child. My husband and I have had a gambling problem for around 12yrs now. We are very isolate with little support, and struggle a lot. But I am hopeful that we can resolve this issue for ourselves and especially for our daughter

Many thanks
    Joe 😊
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:48 am

Hi Joe and welcome to this forum and well done for reaching out
    There are people here who will be able to offer support and help ,so read some of these posts
    Admitting a problem is a big start .
    Stopping gambling is not easy,but it can be done with a bit of resolve and determination
    Good luck to both of you
    0 x
    Fordstar

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Hey all im a 32 year old builder from Central nsw. Im having troubles keeping my gambling in control. I always want to be better off financially and for some reason in my head I feel like I'm due to win. I have a wife and 2 kids and all I want is for them to be comfortable and happy.

Any help or ideas to curve my gambling please respond here as ill listen to amyones advice.

Cheers
    1 x
    Fordstar

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:59 pm

yep123 wrote:
    Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 am
    Hey everyone,

I am new here and i am at the start of my gambling free future! I would like to share my story to see if anyone can relate and give me tips on how to move forward.

I have not gambled from 3 years. Three years ago i gambled 20k on the pokies in a week and it broke me and my family, with help from my loved ones and GA meetings i was able to recover and get back on the right path with life. Four days ago, i went online and spent all my life savings my house deposit everything that i have worked hard for in the last three years. i now know i need support for this addiction for the rest of my life, even if my life gets back on track. So, how do we stop dwelling in what we have lost and move on, How do we forget what we thought our future would be like, and how do we love our selfs again and be happy. I am a strong determined girl with goals. i understand this is a set back, but i don't understand how to move forward and does the pain slow down.

Thank you for reading Laura

Mate this is exactly how I feel. Its a horrible feeling I feel like I've let my kids and partner down and I need some advise on similar feeling
    0 x
    Wenna (facilitator)

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi @Fordstar,

I am sorry to hear things are difficult for you at the moment and you are currently experiencing a genuine loss on many levels.

You were interested in discussing ways to stop dwelling on what has been lost and move on. Our members are very supportive and it may be they can share with you some strategies they have found to be helpful.

The pain does slow down over time. What can be helpful is working on strategies which may support the change you are wanting. It was good to read you respond well to setting goals and that skill can be helpful when wanting to work at being gambling free.

There are some good support articles which you can find on this site and as previously mentioned our members are a great support.

All the best
    Wenna
    1 x
    JSL

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 am

Hi i am 45 years man. I have been gamble for
    23 years. But i still lost more and more.
    I lost $12000 yesterday and try to find a way to
    Stop the gamble.so i am join this site.
    Everyone help me to stop the gamble and i want to make a happy life.
    Thanks
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 am

Hi @JSL
    Welcome to the forums!
    Good on you for reaching out today! I understand that it can be quite difficult trying to tackle a gambling issue, but this is a safe and non-judgemental space to receive some support and advice from other members that have similar experiences to yourself!

Tell us a little more about whats been happening for you !
    0 x
    Mik876

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:53 pm

Hello,

Another newbie here keen to reach out.

I’ve gambled off and on all of my adult life (more on than off). I hate to think about how much money I have lost over the past 25 years, it would have to be somewhere around $100k. I’m lucky though; I’m not in debt, have no credit cards, I’ve stayed within my financial limits. I have gambled away most money on sports; you name it I would have bet on it. I would also bet on horse racing too. All of that is coming to a close as I’m now at the end of my tether with gambling.

I hate how it alters my mood. I mostly lose money, so when I do I get pissed off with the world. I’ve been good at hiding my mood swings over the years but lately I can feel deep down inside that I’m a depressive, negative, insipid person after a losing day. I hate that gambling does that to me.

I hate how gambling has ruined the simple act of watching sport and enjoying the contest before me. Lately I don’t really watch the game, I’m more watching the clock and trying to determine point spreads and totals so I can call up and lose a few more hundred dollars. I remember when I was a kid watching and loving the game, not the punt.
    I hate that gambling took that away from me.

I hate how gambling has diverted my attention from family, friends, work, relaxation. After a losing day I’ll be up at all hours of the night researching Bulgarian second division soccer looking for a “certain” winner, and then wake the next day to see the bottom placed team has rolled the undefeated title contenders in a massive boilover. Hours I could have spent being more connected with family, or resting, taken by the punt.
    I hate that gambling takes that away from me.

I’m going to try my best to get rid of this addiction. It hasn’t cost me any relationships, or financial meltdowns, but I’m getting real with myself, I’m addicted. I’ve arrived at this website after shutting down my betting apps. The responsible gambling links within the app sent me this way. I’m glad I’ve arrived.

This is going to be a dogfight......
    1 x
    Let go

No trust and love lost

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:17 am

My invalid husband has secretly lost 80k on gaming in the last 5 yrs. I am his carer and do everything around the house. He sits in his chair and plays pokies on his phone and laptop.all day. He told me it didn't cost anything. The bank told me about the addiction last Monday when I applied for a small loan. I am so shocked. I absolutely despise him as he has destroyed my life. I cant understand why he has done it and thought he could get gaway with it. I am 65 and I dont think I will be happy ever again. I cant tolerate being near him and our 20 year marriage is over all because his gaming took over his entire life.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”