Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • My day 1

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    badger

My day 1

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 am

Today is day one for me.
    I have been a compulsive gambler on and off for many years. Initially I was in denial, however , it became particularly problematic in the last 12months. I would have easily spent over a million dollars (as pointed out by my family when they were doing the books).
    My access to money was in the form of various credit cards and superannuation. I lost that money over 6-12 months and almost lost our house. I am almost certain that would have been the case.
    Looking back I feel awful and guilty. Recently I began gambling again after a hiatus of about 3 months this year. I started betting on sport, in particularly NRL and rugby. And small cash amounts (undetectable), built up quickly to over a thousand dollars. No one knew this was happening until my wife saw the warning signs...anxiety, moody patches, irritability with somatic symptoms.
    I need help to curb gambling before I lose too much again. It has been smaller amounts the last month or so. But it was at that point last time that I lost control causing great pain and suffering to myself and family . I typically tried to "win it back" spending even more money.
    I need advice and a plan to stop further damage. Hopefully the guilt and pain will ease. I am very lucky to have kept my job and have a roof over my head.
    I have a history of mental illness of Bipolar type 2 and anxiety. But gambling only exacerbates these issues.
    3 x
    Mona58

Re: My day 1

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi Badger

Welcome to the forums. If you read through the posts you will find different strategies people use. In your type of situation most people hand over total control of fianances to their partner. Carry only a small amount of cash , such as for lunch. Being accountable to your partner for every cent spent.

It is frustrating and taxing going through new changes but it is only for a short time before you will be comfortabe and enjoy the new life being gamble free brings.

Keep posting and we're here for support. Or you could the Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858 if you need to talk,, it helps take some weight of your shoulders'

All the best on your journey!

Mona (21 months GF)
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”