Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • I just can't seem to quit

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Jgirl

I just can't seem to quit

Sat May 18, 2019 1:23 am

I'm angry at myself I work for nothing, I spend most my work money gambling pokies, feels great when I win but I feel really down when I put it all back plus more I gambled about 1500 tonight and I feel ****. I want to stop but then I get bored or get the shits and run straight to the nearest shop.
    2 x
    Mona58

Re: I just can't seem to quit

Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 am

Hi jgirl,

Welcome to the forums .

We've all been there as you can see from reading the posts here.

It is not easy to stop. You need to use a lot more than just willpower. It helps to understand how those D-Dens & machines manipulate and take over our brains! It takes quite alot of physical and mental wrestling to keep away from them.

You said that boredom is what makes you go... that is only a small part of it and will be easily solved once you understand the control the machines have on us .

Watch Ka'Ching pokie Nation to start with... actually your second step since your first step is coming to the forums. . - - which has been quiet at the moment but people will eventually come in and give you more support and advice if you keep posting,

All the best on your journey to a gamble free life! ... and... it is worth fighting for!

Mona
    (19 months and 2 days gamble free!)
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Welcome to the forums @Jgirl

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on the forums!

Good on you for taking the step to reach out for some support.

As @Mona58 said, sometimes it can help to educate yourself around how machines can manipulate our minds, behaviours and our overall wellbeing. It could be useful to watch the Ka-Ching Documentary.

You've identified boredom as being one of your triggers, boredom is something everyone experiences from time to time. Try to think of different activities/hobbies that can substitute gambling and that you also find joy from doing.

You'd find that many other members on the forums do have similar experiences to yourself, so you can receive some support, advice, tips along your journey to becoming free from gambling.

In the mean time you can look into doing some self-exclusion where you can essentially ban yourself from multiple venues. A counsellor can help with this also.

Well done on sharing your experience

Kind regards,

Calvin,
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Mon May 27, 2019 2:23 am

They’re horrible things, I’ve been able to quit a few times. The hardest part is the first week or two.

You get so anxious and feel like shot, it’s like a detox but after that first week or two you fee really positive about yourself and happy you have some of your pay left etc.

Start the 100 day challenge, post each day say how your feeling, the good part about that is that you will see by your posts how much better you feel without gambling in your life
    3 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”