Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My last ‘Last Day One’

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Jc

Re: My last ‘Last Day One’

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:09 am

@Damaged_Armour

My father kind of knew he didnt have long left from about 5 years ago, so he just thought stuff it, Im gonna die anyway, so I might as well gamble my life away.

He had health scares since the year 2000 and he had lived ‘in the moment’ since then, but much much more so the last 5 years. He just couldnt see that he was hurting other people.

I guess it doesnt matter now, he did suffer so much in the last months.

Where have the facilitators been?? Haven’t seen them in a while its a tad disappointing
    0 x
    Mish_27

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks for sharing that @Jc. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You are doing really well staying away from the gambling at such a difficult time, even if you're not counting for a while :) keep up the good work
    0 x
    Jc

Mon May 03, 2021 10:03 pm

Day...I have no idea what day is it anymore but I know I've passed two years

Hope everyone is okay
    1 x
    Jc

Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 pm

I went through my old thread...the very first time I posted here 3 years ago. It is insane how time flies, but I look at all the old users who used to comment and havent been active in a year...I just hope they are all doing okay. This addiction is hard to beat I sincerely hope they've gotten the help they need outside this forum. For me, this forum was my main outlet and writing here daily saved me from my own demise when I first started trying to quit. Now with my life I don't need to come on here as much and I don't really think about gambling at all. I'm keeping myself occupied.

Although, I'll never truly be 'cured' of this...all addictions are alike but all addicts are unique in their own ways. For the rest of my life I can never gamble, not 'just one bet'. Nothing.

Anyway have a good week. Hope to check in here more often!
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 am

Heya @Jc11

It's great to hear from you again, and also fantastic to hear how you've been doing! It sounds like you're doing really well. Hearing how people have come through the other side of gambling is great for other members who are still on their own recovery journeys.

Keep us updated on your success, and if you feel up to it, it'd be great to hear some of your tips and tricks! :);
    0 x
    Jc

Wed May 05, 2021 11:48 pm

Tips and tricks hey?? Hmmm

1. Abstinence is key. I don’t care how much you think you can do it, you’ll never be a ‘controlled’ gambler. Theres a reason why you’re an addict, once youre prone to the addiction you can’t just ‘control’ it. As GA says ‘one bet is too much and a thousand bets are not enough’
    2. Avoid triggers. For me it was sports betting. I’d avoid watching most sports, or if I did watch sports only watch the game itself, no pre show about gambling BS. For others they might play pokies. Avoid the venues in general. Don’t care if you’re ‘just going for lunch’. Stay home. The sights and sounds of those machines are alluring, they’ll suck you in so easily. STAY AWAY from the venues. If you have a luncheon or dinner there, don’t go. Make up any excuse to not go. Don’t care, don’t go.
    3. Drop enablers from your life. Enablers are people that...enable you to gamble. Usually in the form of gambling buddies. Or just your friends in general. If you have gambling buddies, drop them. If its your friends enticing you to ‘have a slap’ on a night out, kindly tell them you’re trying to quit gambling (you don’t have to confess you’re addiction just say you’re saving money or something). If they don’t understand and still entice you to gamble then you need to avoid seeing them. You’ll understand who your true friends are. TLDR: AVOID PEOPLE THAT ENABLE YOU TO GAMBLE.
    4. Occupy yourself. I’ve found a great hobby in trading cards thanks to the COVID outbreak last year and that has continued on to this year. Buying/selling cards has consumed my existence. I also absolutely destroy myself during workouts which helps. But reality is, you won’t ever get the same buzz you get from gambling - and thats okay. Books, TV, games etc are a decent replacement until your brain resets itself and doesnt constantly crave the buzz.
    First few months are the hardest and if you’re starting out theres a good chance it gets worse before it gets better. Don’t be discouraged because when its better, life will be better hundredfold. There’ll be times when youre hand shakes or you wanna curl up into a ball and die from the withdrawals but they’ll go away. Always occupy yourself during these times.
    5. Reward yourself...not with a bet because thats stupid and counterproductive. You’ll never be ‘cured’ and thats something you have to accept. But reward yourself in other ways. It just depends on your current financial position when it comes to gambling. Some are in debt, some have no debt but zero dollars. Find ways to reward yourself, I was in the latter. I spent everything I had but didnt go into debt (it was heading that way). For years I had nothing. A crappy phone, crappy bed that needed replacing, etc. i used all the money to buy things I needed to buy for myself. And I have plenty of things to show for my gambling abstinence now. I honestly don’t know where I’d be if I continued gambling.
    6. Self exclusion. I wouldn't say this is suuuuper necessary since there are always ways to bet. I self excluded from every single online sports betting company. But even so, If i really wanted to, I could have walked into a TAB, and its not feasible to self exclude from everywhere but its the symbolism of the act of self excluding and what it represents.
    7. Don’t dwell on the past. The money gambled is gone forever. Thats it. You’re not getting it back. You’re not winning it all back. Reality is, its gone and you won’t ever see it again. And thats okay. If you constantly think about money blown, you’ll start bringing yourself down and mentally spiral out of control, depress yourself and all sorts of things which will lead you into this fallacious belief that ‘maybe I can win it all back’. You can’t. Its gone. Accept it and don’t dwell on the losses.
    8. A DAY AT A TIME! The prospect of ‘forever’ is absolutely daunting. How many times do you sit there and say ‘I’m never betting again’ and then renege on your oath?? Honestly, just take it one day at a time. Wake up, and say ‘today I’m not going to gamble’. And then the next day, and so forth. Just remember, forever is an accumulation of todays :).

Hope this helps
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu May 06, 2021 10:00 am

Great set of tips @Jc ! :) Very helpful insight!
    0 x
    Jimap

Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi @Jc

I don’t have a gambling addiction but I loved someone for 15 years with one. I still love him even though we separated recently. His addiction was destroying our relationship and I couldn’t stay with someone who made me feel so alone, angry, resentful and empty.
    Your story of your recovery so far made me shed a tear. You should be so proud of yourself and all the work you have done. I can only imagine how hard it would be. I pray some day my ex partner reads your story and knows that recovery is possible. We are still close as we have children together, they love him so much and aren’t aware of his gambling. Your story gives me hope that one day my ex partner may choose a different path for himself, realise his potential and turn his life around.
    Take care and well done!!!
    1 x
    Jc

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Day…something. I stopped counting the days and made the days count :)

Harder in this lockdown. I did receive two text messages from betting companies. I’m self excluded from every bookie out there but I’m sure theres newer ones popping up that have access to information.
    Either way it doesnt concern me. Still living my life gambling free
    3 x
    Printemps

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:49 pm

heya @Jc it's great to hear from you, and it's great to hear you're still tracking so well!

It's hard when lock down hits, especially with the betting companies being so invasive. It sounds like you're in a pretty good place to ride out any urges though! :o

Remember we're always here for you!
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”