Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Need Help

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    friends2004

Need Help

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm 22 year old female and i'm a gambler who's addicted to online betting from horses to dogs to sport games, in the last 6 months its been getting worst I've lost around $8,000 in about 4 months, i don't feel the urge to Gamble Monday and Tuesday but once theirs money in my bank account (WEDNESDAY PAY DAY) i have to bet straight away from $100-$200, if i win i keep going i end up cashing out but end up putting it back in out of a great feeling of wining and getting bored its like i'm on high and cant stop the feeling like i'm having an out of body experience i feel like a different person when i bet careless and reckless, If i lose i just keep added money to try and win it back, i'm not sure how to stop its getting out of hand i have a great job where i can make up to $900-$3000 if i work on night shift that week.
    I have taken steps as of today my betting apps have been locked i cant place a bet, my partner is taking my pay and putting it his savings for me so i don't have money in my account to even have a slight urge to gamble
    2 x
    FamilyFirst

Re: Need Help

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi friends2004,
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm Lee, I'm so sorry to hear of your addiction but the first step to your recovery has now commenced. We all have our own story some much worse than others, but through listening to others mistakes and triumphs we can grow strong enough to kick our horrible habits.

I'm am a compulsive gambler, pokie machines are my weakness but I've had my issues with keno, tab and blackjack also.

For 17 years I gambled with my future. Until it all caught up with me and I either quit or I lost my partner and two kids.

You have made a great leap forward by enabling your partner to safeguard your hard earned money. This has been a great tool for me and to this day the only form of money I get access to is my paywave card for my petrol and I must retain my receipt.

One day at a time is all it takes!

Cheers, Lee
    720 days gamble free!!
    3 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Re: Need Help

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi friends2004,

Sherpa09 here (one of the moderators on the forum). Well done on reaching out and connecting with the online forum! It can almost feel like money can lose its value when you get into a state of chasing your winnings. You've done the right thing in blocking your gambling apps and placing control of money with someone you trust. Stay strong and great job again in making a connection in your journey of recovery. Look forward to your future posts.

And well done Lee on 720 days gambling free!!!

Sherpa09.
    1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”